Mikrobiol. Z. 2022; 84(2):76-81.
To the 125th Anniversary of the SI “Institute of Epidemiology and Infectious Diseases
Named after L.V. Hromashevskyi” of NAMS of Ukraine
V.M. Hamaliia, S.P. Ruda, H.V. Zabuha
Dobrov Institute for Scientific and Technological Potential and Science History Studies, NAS of Ukraine
60 Tarasa Shevchenka Blvd., Kyiv, 01032, Ukraine
The review is dedicated to the 125th anniversary of the opening of the Bacteriological Institute in Kyiv (now it is called the SI “Institute of Epidemiology and Infectious Diseases Named aft er of NAMS of Ukraine) on the initiative of the Society for Control of Infectious Diseases, a non-governmental self-managing organization that united Kyiv’s microbiologists. It is noted that it was the fi rst institution to study infectious diseases in Ukraine. The activity of the Society, has been described. The efforts of a group including professors in medicine from the Kyiv University of Saint Volodymyr, namely K.G. Tritschel, O.D. Pavlovskyi, V.P. Obraztsov, V.V. Podvysotskyi, F.K. Bornhaupt, M.I. Stukovenkov, F.O. Lesh, F.G. Yanovskyi, V.Ye. Chernov, and others have been appreciated. It is emphasized that one of the priority tasks specified in the statute of the Society, approved on December 21, 1895, was the foundation of the Bacteriological Institute. A number of problems considered by the Society members have been described in detail. Special attention is paid to the role of patrons, in particular L.I. Brodskyi and O.N. Tereshchenko, thanks to whose donations the construction of the Institute became possible. The activity of directors and employees working in this scientific institution, namely V.Ye. Chernov, V.K. Lindeman, O.D. Pavlovskyi, V.K. Vysokovych, L.V. Hromashevskiy, and others, is covered. It is noted that during the first decade of the Institute’s existence, it produced important prophylactic drugs (against diphtheria, anti-meningococcal, anti-streptococcal, and tetanus serum), as well as vaccines against smallpox, cholera, typhoid, anthrax, and rabies. The work emphasizes that over 125 years of its operation, the Institute has undergone several reforms, and today it is the main scientific institution in Ukraine for the problems of epidemiology, microbiology, virology, parasitology, and infectious diseases. The importance of modern developments performed by the Institute’s staff such as new methods of treatment, diagnosis, and prevention of influenza, pneumonia, intestinal infections, scarlet fever, tetanus, viral hepatitis, meningoencephalitis, HIV infection, etc. has been highlighted.
Keywords: infectious diseases, medical society, vaccines, disease prevention, epidemiological department, bacteriology.
- Ruda SP. [Society for the control of infectious diseases: organization and activities]. Byulleten Natsionalnogo NII obshchestvennogo zdorovya. Moskva, 2009. p. 46—7. Russian.
- [Society for the control of infectious diseases in Kyiv]. Kyiv: Tipografi ya Imperatorskogo universiteta Sv. Vladimira, 1911. Russian.
- Klymchuk VV. [Vasyl Egorovych Chernov is the first head of the Department of Pediatrics at Kyiv University]. Ukrainskyi Naukovo-Medychnyi Molodizhnyi Zhurnal. 2012; 1(67):66—67. Ukrainian.
- Ruda SP, Gamaliia VM. [Kyiv syphilidological and dermatovenereological Society]. In: Abstracts of the XI Congress of the World Federation of Ukrainian Medical Societies; 2006 Aug 8—30; Poltava — Kyiv — Chicago. 2006. p. 118. Ukrainian.
- Pasko I. [History of medicine in the architecture of Kyiv]. Ahapit (Ukrainskyi istoryko-medychnyi zhurnal). 2000; 12:39—44. Ukrainian.
- Rudaia SP. [Vladimir Konstantinovich Vysokovich, 1854—1912]. Moskva: Nauka (Nauchno-biografi cheskaia literatura); 2004. Russian.
- Ruda SP. [Pedagogical activity of Professor V.K. Vysokovich (1854—1912)]. Meditsinskaya professura Rossiyskoy imperii: Tez. dokladov. Moskva, 2005. p. 139—41. Russian.
- Ruda SP. [Essays on the history of microbiology in Ukraine (late nineteenth — early twentieth century)]. Kyiv: IVTs Derzhkomstatu Ukrainy; 2000. Ukrainian.
- Gamaleia VN, Rudaia SP. [Professor A. D. Pavlovsky (on the occasion of his 160th birthday)]. Stochikov skie chteniya: Materialy 16-y Mezhdunarodnoy nauchnoy konferentsii; 2018 May 25; Moskva, 2018. p. 55–56. Russian.
- Ruda S, Kovalchuk L. [Kyiv period of V.K. Vysokovich activity]. Obraz epokhy: kulturne seredovyshche Kyieva kintsia XIX — pochatku XX st. Kyiv, 1995. p. 187–9. Ukrainian.
- Bushuev VF. [On the causes of typhus in the Russian army]. Vrach. 1898; 21:621–4; 22:644–6. Russian.
- Rudaia SP. [Vladimir Vysokovich — an outstanding scientist and public figure]. Filosofsko-svitohliadni ta kulturolohichni konteksty neperervnoi osvity. Materialy Mizhn. nauk.-prakt. konferentsii; 2019 Apr 12—13; Dnipro, 2019. p. 194–8. Russian.
- Gamaliia VM, Ruda SP. [Stages of V.V. Pidvysotsky’s creative path (to the 160th anniversary of his birth)]. Zbirnyk naukovykh prats “Istoriia nauky i tekhniky”. 2017; 11:147–53. Ukrainian.
- Vasiliev KG, Zaporozhan VN, Zanchevskaya T.A. [Vladimir Valerianovich Podvysotsky]. Odesa: Odesskiy gosudarstvennyy universitet; 2003. Russian.