Mikrobiol. Z. 2022; 84(2):40-46.
Isolation and Diagnosis of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus
in Meat and Butcher Tool Surfaces in Baghdad
H.K. Yakob1, L.R. Hamad2, M.B. Farhan3
1College of Education for Pure Sciences, University of Anbar
2College of Applied Science, University of Fallujah
3Education College for Women, University оf Anbar
Due to the medical and epidemiological importance of the spread of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus, this study was conducted for the purpose of isolating and diagnosing these bacteria from local sheep meat and butcher's tools in Baghdad. Methods. 200 samples were collected. Mannitol salt agar and Staph.110 medium were used to isolate the bacteria. The isolates were identified using standard cultivation methods, biochemical tests, the GP24 diagnostic system, and an integrated Vitek 2 device. The isolates were tested for sensitivity to methicillin by the disk diff usion method. DNA was extracted and the mecA gene was detected in the isolates that showed methicillin resistance by polymerase chain reaction. Results. S. aureus was diagnosed in 83 (41.5%) of the samples. Of them, 35 (42.2%) were methicillin-resistant. Out of these, 24 (68.6%) were found to have the mecA gene. Conclusions. Methicillin-Resistant S. aureus strains were detected with a high prevalence due to the underdeveloped reality of slaughter places.
Keywords: MRSA, mecA gene, sheep meat, Iraq.
- Nørrung B, Buncic S. Microbial safety of meat in the European Union. Meat science. 2008; 78(1‒2):14‒24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.07.032
- Jaja I, Iwu C, Chigor V, Anyanwu M, Ezealisiji K, Oguttu JW, Green E. Antimicrobial resistance phenotype of Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli isolates obtained from meat in the formal and informal sectors in south Africa. BioMed Res Int. 2020; 1‒11. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/3979482
- Kluytmans JA. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in food products: cause for concern or case for complacency? A review. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2009; 16(1):11‒15. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-0691.2009.03110.x
- Pesavento G, Ducci B, Comodo N, Lo Nostro A. Antimicrobial resistance profile of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from raw meat: A research for methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Food Control. 2007; 18(3):196‒200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2005.09.013
- Bhandare SG, Sherikar AT, Paturkar AM, Waskar VS, Zende RJ. A comparison of microbial contamination on sheep/goat carcasses in modern Indian abattoir and traditional meat shops. Food Control. 2007; 18:854‒858. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2006.04.012
- Jaradat ZW, Tarazi YH, Ababneh QO. Molecular characterization of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from meat and their antibiotic resistance profi les. Pak Vet J. 2014; 34(1):58‒62.
- Jarallah EM, Sahib SI, Yassen K. Isolation and identification of some pathogenic bacterial species contaminated from meats in butcher shops and kebab restaurants in AL-Kut city. Euph J Agr Sci. 2014; 6(4):30‒37.
- Kanaan MHG. Antibacterial effect of ozonated water against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus contaminating chicken meat in Wasit Province, Iraq. Vet World. 2018; 11(10):1445‒1453. https://doi.org/10.14202/vetworld.2018.1445-1453
- Ranjan KD. Textbook of diagnostic microbiology. Medical college and hospital, medical publishers (p) Ltd Newdelhi. PP: 2007; 124.
- Yalcin S, Nizamlio M, Gürbüz Ü. Fecal coliform contamination of beef carcasses during the slaughtering process. J Food Safety. 2007; 21:225‒231. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4565.2001.tb00321.x
- Phillips D, Sumner J, Alexander JF, Dutton KM. Microbiological quality of Australian sheep meat. J Food prot. 2001; 64(5):697‒700. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-64.5.697
- Wu S, Huang J, Wu Q, Zhang J, Zhang F, Yang X, Wu H, Zeng H, Chen M, Ding Y, Wang J, Lei T, Zhang S, Xue L. Staphylococcus aureus isolated from retail meat and meat products in China: incidence, antibiotic resistance and genetic diversity. Front Microbiol. 2018; 9:2767. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2018.02767
- Holt JK, Krieg NR, Staleg JT. Bwrgys manual of determinative bacteriology, Baltimor, USA. 1994; 175‒191.
- CLSI (Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute). Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing. Twenty-second information supplement M100-S25.CLSI, Wayne, PA, USA. 2015.
- Murakami K, Minamide W, Wada K, Nakamura E, Teraoka H, Watanabe S. Identification of methicillin-resistant strains of staphylococci by polymerase chain reaction. J Clin Microbiol. 1991; 29(10):2240‒2244. https://doi.org/10.1128/jcm.29.10.2240-2244.1991
- Mukhopadhyay H, KPillai RM, Pal U, Kumar AJ. Microbial quality of fresh chevon and beef in retail outlets of Pondicherry. TNJVAS. 2009; 5(1):33‒36.
- Hamzah AM, Abbas MS, Ahmed WA. The isolation and identification of the important pathogenic bacteria from fresh meat. Iraqi J Vet Med. 2010; 34(1):44‒50. https://doi.org/10.30539/iraqijvm.v34i1.659
- Arjyal C, Kc J, Neupane S. Prevalence of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Shrines. Int J Microbiol. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/7981648
- Torki Baghbaderani Z, Shakerian A, Rahimi E: Phenotypic and genotypic assessment of antibiotic resistance of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria isolated from retail meat. Infect Drug Resist. 2020; 7(13):1339‒1349. https://doi.org/10.2147/IDR.S241189
- Assafi MS, Hado HA, Abdulrahman IS. Detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in broiler and broilers farm workers in Duhok, Iraq by using conventional and PCR techniques. Iraqi J Vet Sci. 2020; 34(1):15‒22. https://doi.org/10.33899/ijvs.2019.125757.1145
- Jackson CR, Davis JA, Barrett JB. Prevalence and characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates from retail meat and humans in Georgia. J Clin Microbiol. 2013; 51(4):1199‒207. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.03166-12