Mikrobiol. Z. 2020; 82(6):54-63.
Fungicidal and Bactericidal Activity of the Alkyl-Substituted Guanidine-Containing Oligomers
M.Ya. Vortman1, Yu.B. Pysmenna2, A.I. Chuenko2, D.R. Abdulina2, Zh.P. Kopteva2, A.E. Kopteva2,
A.V. Rudenko3, V.V.Tretyak3, V.N. Lemeshko1, V.V. Shevchenko1
1Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry, NAS of Ukraine
48 Kharkivske Highway, Kyiv, 02160, Ukraine
2Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
3Institute of Urology, NAMS of Ukraine
9A Vinnichenka Str., Kyiv, 04053, Ukraine
Biocides are widely used in medicine and various industries to protect against a number of harmful microorganisms. Organic quaternary ammonium and guanidine-containing compounds, the biological action of which is based on membrane-toxic properties, are used as bactericidal preparations. The aim of this work was to study the bactericidal and fungicidal activities of the synthesized oligomeric alkylsubstituted guanidinium bromides with different radicals -C3H7, -C7H15, -C10H21, against different isolates of heterotrophic bacteria and microscopic fungi. Methods. The synthesis of alkyl-substituted guanidiniumcontaining oligomers was performed in two stages. In the first stage, alkyl-substituted guanidine was obtained by the reaction of guanidine, previously converted by alkali from the salt form to the base form by the base and alkyl bromides (Alk=-C3H7 (propyl), -C7H15 (heptyl), -C10H21 (decyl)) in methanol at a temperature of 50°C and a molar ratio of 1:1. The second carried out the reaction between aromatic oligoepoxide DER-331 and alkyl-substituted guanidine in methanol at a temperature of 50°C for 2–3 hours and a molar ratio of 1:2. Bacteria were grown on meat-peptone agar for 48 hours at a temperature of 28±2°С. Test cultures of micromycetes were cultured on agar beer wort (6°B), incubated for 14 days in a thermostat at a temperature of 28±2°C. Antimicrobial activity of newly synthesized alkyl-substituted guanidinium-containing oligomers was determined by standard disco-diffusion method (method of disks on agar) and fungicidal activity was determined by the method of holes in agar. Results. Oligomeric alkylsubstituted guanidinium bromides with different radicals composed -C3H7, -C7H15, -C10H21- synthesized by the reaction of guanidine alkyl bromides with aromatic oligoepoxydes. It was found that alkyl-substituted guanidinium-containing oligomers at a concentration of 1–3% inhibited the growth of Escherichia coli 475, Pseudomonas aeruginosa 465, Klebsiella pneumonia 479, Pseudomonas pseudoalcaligenes 109, Staphylococcus aureus 451, E. faecalis 422, Rhodococcus erythropolis 102, Bacillus subtilis 138 and most of the studied micromycetes – Aureobasidium pullulans F-41430, Paecilomyces variotii F-41432, Penicillium funiculosum F-41435, Penicillium ochrochloron F-41431, Scopulariopsis brevicaulis F-41434, Trichoderma viride F-41437, Candida albicans F-41441, Aspergillus flavus F-41442, Aspergillus niger F-41448, Penicillium sp. F-41447. Conclusions. Antimicrobial and fungicidal properties significantly depend on the length of the alkyl radical, with increasing of its length the diameter of the zone of bacterial and micromycetes growth retardation increases.
Keywords: alkyl-substituted guanidinium-containing oligomers, heterotrophic bacteria, micromycetes, bactericidal and fungicidal activity.
Full text (PDF, in English)
- Bocharov BV. [Protection against biodeterioration during the restoration of historical and architectural monuments. Biodegradation in construction]. Moscow: Stroyizdat; 1984:177–83. Russian.
- Oparin PS, Turneva NA, Sheptunov SI. [The past present and the future of Quaternary ammonium compounds]. Disinfection at the present stage: VS NTS SB RAMS, Irkutsk; 2003:53–61. Russian.
- Demchenko NS. [Quaternary salts of pyridinium as inhibitors of microbial corrosion of low-carbon steel] JCCT. 2017; 11(3):314–18. Russian. https://doi.org/10.23939/chcht11.03.314
- Olkhovik VK, Vasilevsky DA, Matvienko YuV, Petushok VG, Zheldakova RA, Lysak VV. [Synthesis and fungicidal activity of Quaternary ammonium salts based on substituted biphenyls]. Scientific and Practical Conference “Biologically Active Substances: Fundamental and Applied Issues of Preparation and Application”: Abstract doc. Kyiv: Publisher VS. Martyniuk; 2009. p. 137. Russian.
- Gembitsky PA. [Guanidine Chemical encyclopedia]. In 5 volumes. (Vol.1) Moscow: Soviet encyclopedia; 1988. Russian.
- Vointseva II, Gembitsky PA. [Polyguanidines - disinfectants and multifunctional additives in composite materials]. 2009. Moscow: LKM-press (in Russian). Russian.
- Gembitsky PA, Vointseva II. [Polymeric biocide drug polyhexamethylene guanidine]. Zaporozhye: Polygraph; 1998. Russian.
- Vointseva II. [Polyhexamethylene guanidine hydrochloride for the purification and disinfection as an alternative to oxidizing agents]. Part 1. Water: Chemistry and Ecology. 2011; 7:39–45. Russian.
- Svetlov DA, Erofeev VT, Morozov EA. [Polyhexamethylene guanidine derivatives biocidal preparations]. Biological damage and bio-corrosion in construction: materials of the Second Internet scientific and technical conference; 2006. p. 270–73. Russian.
- Kim J-Y, Kim HH, Cho KH. Acute cardiovascular toxicity of sterilizers, PHMG, and PGH: severe inflammation in human cells and heart failure in zebrafish. Cardiovasc. Toxicol. 2013; 13:148–160. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12012-012-9193-8
- Jung HN, Zerin T, Podder B, Song HY, Kim YS. Cytotoxicity and gene expression profiling of polyhexamethylene guanidine hydrochloride in human alveolar A549 cells. Toxicol. In Vitro. 2014; 28:682–692. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2014.02.004
- Oulè MK, Azinwi R, Bernier AM, Kablan T, Maupertuis AM, Mauler S, et al. Polyhexamethylene guanidine hydrochloride-based disinfectant: a novel tool to fight meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and nosocomial infections. J Med Microbiol. 2008; 57:1523–8. https://doi.org/10.1099/jmm.0.2008/003350-0
- Stelmakh SA. [Hydrogels based on polyhexamethylene guanidine hydrochloride]. Bulletin of the Buryat State University. Chemistry, physics 2010; B3:80–2. Ukrainian.
- Patent N65079. Wortman MYa, Chuenko AI, Lemeshko VN, Klimenko NS, Shevchenko VV, Zhdanova NM. [The use of a guanidine-containing adduct as a fungicidal substance]. publ. 25.11.2011, Bul. 22. Ukrainian.
- Declaration of Patent for Utility Model N114915. Chuenko AI, Pismennaya YB, Vortman MYa, Lemeshko VN, Shevchenko VV. [A Method of Obtaining a Guanidine-Containing Fungicidal Product]. publ. 27.03.2017, Bul. 6. Ukrainian.
- Chuenko AI, Wortman MYa, Shevchenko VV. [Fungicidal activity of guanidine derivatives promising for use in the rubber industry]. Microbiol and Biotechnol. 2013; 22(2):97–106. Ukrainian. https://doi.org/10.18524/2307-4663.2013.2(22).48927
- Dudka IA, Vasser SP, Ellanskaya IA and others. [Methods of experimental mycology]. In: Bilay VI, editor. Kiev: Naukova Dumka; 1982. Russian.
- Andreyuk KI, Kozlova IP, Kopteva ZhP, Pilyashenko-Novokhatny AI, Zanina VV, Purish LM. [Microbial corrosion of underground structures]. Kyiv: Scientific opinion; 2005. Russian.
- Sukharevich VI, Kuzikova IL, Medvedeva IG, Gridneva YA. [Growth of micromycetes and synthesis of pigments on media containing fungicides and inhibitors of pigmentation]. Mycology and phytopathology. 2000; 34(3):43–7. Russian.
- Kopteva ZhP, Zanina VV, Boretskaya MA, Yumyna UM, Kopteva AE, Kozlova IA. [Monosaccharide and fatty acid composition of the ekzopolymer complex of bacteria-destructors of the protective coating of the gas pipeline]. Mikrobiol Z. 2012; 74(2):22–8. Russian.
- Vortman MYa, Abdulina DR, Kopteva ZhP, Kopteva AE, Lemeshko VM, Shevchenko VV. [Antimicrobial activity and ability to biodegrade guanidine-containing polyethylene oxide hydrogel]. Physico-chemical mechanics of materials. Special issue. 2020; 13:33–7. Ukrainian.