Mikrobiol. Z. 2020; 82(5):30-35. Ukrainian.
Information Technology of Color Imaging Assessment
of Saccharomyces cerevisiae UCM Y-517 Yeast Volutin Granules
O.M. Gromozova1, T.L. Kachur1, V.V. Vishnevsky2, O.S. Sychev2
1Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
2Institute of Mathematical Machines and Systems Problems, NAS of Ukraine
42 Akad. Glushkova Ave., Kyiv, 03187, Ukraine
The research is devoted to the development of color imaging information technology, which is relevant for evaluating the results of cytochemical research in both biology and medicine. The aim of this work was to study the validity of software algorithms and integrated information technology for the qualitative and quantitative analysis of metachromasia reaction of volutin granules of Saccharomyces cerevisiae UCM Y-517 yeast. Methods. The object of this study was Saccharomyces cerevisiae UCM Y-517 yeast from the Ukrainian collection of microorganisms. The yeast was cultivated for 24 hours at 28oC. The metachromatic reaction of volutin granules was detected microscopically by the preparation of yeast cells stained with methylene blue. Digital images of cells were transferred to a specialized web resource for computer processing. Results. The algorithm of computer analysis of images included 3 steps: (1) recognition of single volutin granules, (2) assessment of the magnitude of metachromasia for each granule, and (3) integral estimation of the magnitude of metachromasia for the whole image. Information technology was developed and tested to support the daily monitoring of the metachromasia phenomenon, including obtaining the digital images, their transfer to a remote server, and automatic processing. Information technology is integrated into the web portal of the large-scale biophysical experiment “Heliomed”. Conclusions. The proposed method of computer image processing gave a quantitative and qualitative assessment in the automatic mode of metachromatic staining of volutin granules and confirmed the previously proposed classification of this phenomenon on the basis of visual examination.
Keywords: volutin granules, metachromasia, digital imaging, information technology, RGB model.
Full text (PDF, in Ukrainian)
- Biotropic effects of space weather. Ragulskaya MV, editor. Kiev-Spb: BBM; 2010.
- Kulaev IS, Vagabov VM, Kulakovskaya TV. High molecular inorganic polyphosphates: biochemistry, cellbiology and biotechnology. Moscow: Scientific World; 2005.
- Pierce E. Histochemistry: Theoretical and Applied. Moscow: Foreign publishing house; 1962.
- Gromozova EN, Grigoriev PE, Kachur TL, Voychuk SI. The influence of cosmophysical factors on the metachromasia reaction of volutein granules of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biophysical processes and biosphere. 2010; 9(2):67–76.
- Kisling JD, Van Dyen SJ, Trelsted P, et al. Metabolism of polyphosphates and problems of biotechnology and environmental protection. Biochemistry. 2000; 65(3):394–405.
- Serafim LS, Lemos PC, Levantesi C, Tandoi V, Santos H, Reis MAM. Methods for detection and visualization of intracellular polymers stored by polyphosphateaccumulating microorganisms. J Microbiol Methods. 2002; 51(1):1–18. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-7012(02)00056-8
- Workshop on Microbiology: Textbook. Egorova NS, editor. Moscow: Moscow University Press, 1976.