Mikrobiol. Z. 2020; 82(3):65-70.
The Physical Properties of Bean Common Mosaic Virus Distributed in Ukraine
A. Kyrychenko, V. Prylipko
Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Bean common mosaic virus (BCMV) is one of the most widespread in bean crops viruses belonging to Potyviridae family. Aim. The present study was conducted to know the physical properties of BCMV distributed in Ukraine. Methods. Visual diagnosis, biological testing of the virus, electron microscopy, polymerase chain reaction with reverse transcription (RT-PCR). Results. The presence of BCMV in the plants showing clear viral infection symptoms was established by RT-PCR. The virus was purified from BCMV-infected bean tissues by modified procedure involved clearing with 2.5% of Triton X-100 and concentrating by centrifugation with linear 10–50% sucrose gradient in 0.1 M Tris-thioglycolic acid. The yield of purified virus was 3–4 mg/100 g of infected leaves. The determination of physical properties using the same buffer showed that infectivity of crude was lost by heating at 60–65°C for 10 minutes, dilution end point (DEP) was 10-4 and longevity in vitro (LIV) was 1–2 days at 4ºC or 3–4 days at 20–25°C storage in vitro. This virus is long flexuous filamentous particles approximately 740–750 nm in size. Conclusions. The results added physical properties to the knowledge of BCMV which helps in determining management strategies against the virus.
Keywords: bean common mosaic virus, polymerase chain reaction with reverse transcription, thermal inactivation point, dilution end point, longevity in vitro.
Full text (PDF, in English)
- Morales FJ, Bos L. Bean common mosaic virus. No. 337. In: Descriptions of Plant Viruses. Association of Applied Biologists, Wellesbourne, England. 1988. http://www.dpvweb.net/dpv/showadpv.php?dpvno=337
- Fauquet C, Mayo MA, Maniloff J, Desselberger U, Ball LA. Virus Taxonomy: Eighth Report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. In: Fauquet C, Mayo MA, Maniloff J, Desselberger U, Ball LA. The Eighth Report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. San Diego, CA USA: Elsevier Academic Press; 2005.
- Iwanowski D, Ueber die Mosaik Krankheit der Tabakspflanze. Imp Akad Nauk Izv. (Acad Imp Sei St Petersbourg But); 1894; 35(3):67–70.
- McKern NM, Mink GI, Barnett OW, Mishra A, Whittaker LA, Silbernagel MJ, et al. Isolates of bean common mosaic virus comprising two distinct potyviruses. Phytopathology. 1992; 82:923–929. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-82-923
- Drijfhout E, Morales F. Bean Common Mosaic. In: Compendium of bean diseases. 2nd ed. Scwartz HF, Steadman JR, Hall R, Forster RL, editors. The American Phytopathological Society: St. Paul: MN; 2005. p. 60–62.
- Feng X, Myers JR, Karasev AV. Bean common mosaic virus isolate exhibits a novel pathogenicity profile in common bean, overcoming the bc-3 resistance allele coding for the mutated eIF4E translation initiation factor. Phytopathology. 2015; 105:1487–1495. https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-04-15-0108-R
- Kyrychenko AN, Kovalenko AG. [Bean common mosaic in the Kiev region: etiology of disease and pathogen identification]. Mikrobiol Z. 2018; 80(4):96–107. Ukrainian. https://doi.org/10.15407/microbiolj80.04.096
- Kyrychenko A, Shcherbatenko I, Mishchenko L. BCMV-ukr: isolate of Bean common mosaic virus revealed in Ukraine. Arch Phytopathology Plant Protect. 2019; 52(11–12):1005–1017. https://doi.org/10.1080/03235408.2019.1688448
- Huttinga H. Properties of viruses of the potyvirus group. 1. A simple method to purify bean yellow mosaic virus, pea mosaic virus, lettuce mosaic virus and potato virus Y Neth J Pl Path. 1973; 79:125–129. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01976706
- Udayashankar AC, Nayaka C, Niranjana SR, Lund OS, Prakash HS. First report of Bean common mosaic virus infecting lablab purpureus in India. Plant Disease. 2011; 7:881. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-01-11-0009
- Noordam D. Identification of Plant Viruses: Methods and Experiments. Centre for Research and Documentation. Wageningen. 1973. p. 50–55.
- El-kady MAS, Badr AB, El-Attar AK, Waziri HMA, Saker KEA. Characterization and molecular studies of Bean common mosaic virus isolated from bean plants in Egypt. Egyptian J Virol. 2014; 11(2):124–135.
- Smith, K.M. A Textbook of Plant Virus Diseases, 3rd ed. Longmans Green: New York; 1972.
- Brunt AA, Crabtree K, Dallwitz MJ, Gibbs AJ, Watson L, Zurcher EJ, editors. Plant Viruses Online: Descriptions and Lists from the VIDE Database. Version: 20th August 1996. http://biology.anu.edu.au/Groups/MES/vide/
- Nelson R. Investigations in the mosaic disease of bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Mich Agr Expt Sta Tecji Bull. 1932; 118.
- Pierce WH. Viruses of the bean. Phytopathology. 1934; 24:87–15. https://doi.org/10.1177/028418513401500110