Mikrobiol. Z. 2020; 82(2):22-29. Ukrainian.
Natural Mineral Nanoparticles and Some Cations Effect on Growth-Regulating
and Superoxide Dismutase Activity of Azotobacter vinelandii IMV B-7076
I.K. Kurdish, A.Yu. Chobotarov
Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Natural mineral nanoparticles and different ions may have influence on physiological and biochemical activity of bacteria introduced into agroecosystems as components of microbial preparations. Aim. To investigate the effect of nanoparticles of some natural minerals and cations, which may be a part of superoxide dismutase of Azotobacter vinelandii IMV B-7076 – a component of a complex bacterial preparation for plant cultivation purposes, on the growth-regulating and superoxide dismutase activity of this strain. Methods. Bacteria were cultivated in Burk medium, the number of viable cells was estimated by Koch method. The superoxide dismutase activity was estimated by the reduction of triphenyltetrazolium chloride. Results. It was demonstrated that Azotobacter cultivation in the medium containing 1 g/l of saponite had little effect on bacteria growth, while in case of bentonite, their number increased by 33%. These bacteria cultivation in the medium with saponite nanoparticles, that introduced Mn2+ ions (1.0–1.5 mM), resulted in insignificant decrease in the number of cells in the suspension, whereas in case of bentonite the number of these bacteria increased by 31.4% regardless of ion concentration. A similar dependence was observed when bacteria cultivating in the medium with Fe2+ cations (0–1.5 mM). It was established that during Azotobacter cultivation in the medium with saponite nanoparticles, that introduced 1.0 mM of Mn2+ ions, the superoxide dismutase activity increased by 16.8%, and in the medium with bentonite in the presence of 0.5 mM Mn2+ ions this index was 17.5% higher compared to the control. The cultivation of A. vinelandii IMV B-7076 in the medium, containing up to 0.5 mM of Fe2+ ions and 1.0 g/l of saponite, the superoxide dismutase activity increased slightly. However, their cultivation with bentonite in the presence of Fe2+ of the same concentration was accompanied with the increase in superoxide dismutase activity by 31.1%. Conclusions. The obtained results will allow to predict physiological and biochemical activity of A. vinelandii IMV B-7076 in agroecosystems depending on the content of investigated minerals and cations in the soil – the components of active centers of superoxide dismutase.
Keywords: Azotobacter vinelandii, growth-regulating and superoxide dismutase activity, Fe2+, Mn2+ ions, bentonite, saponite nanoparticles.
Full text (PDF, in Ukrainian)
- Kurdish I, Roy A, Titova L. [Granulovani preparati kompleksnoi dii na osnovi azotphiksuuchix bacterii]. In: Agrarna osvita i nauka na pochatku tretogo tusacholittia: Materiali miznarodnii naykovo-praktichnoi konferencii; 2001 Sep 18–21; Lviv, Ukraine. 2001. p. 189–194. Ukrainian.
- Kasem Soytong. [Research and development of microbial products for agriculture in Thailand, China and Vietnam. Biologichna zaschita rastenii – osnova stabilizacii agroekosistemi]. Krasnodar; 2004. Russian.
- Volkohon VV, Nadkernichna OV, Kovalevska TM, Tokmakova LM, Kopilov EP, Kozar SF, Tolkachov MZ, Melnichuk TN, Chaykovskaya LO, Sherstoboev MK. [Microbe preparations in agriculture. Theory and practice]. Agrarna nauka: Kyiv; 2006. Ukrainian.
- Kurdish IK. [The introduction of microorganisms in agroecosystems]. Naukova dumka: Kiev; 2010. Ukrainian.
- Patent Ukrainy 72856. Shtam Azotobacter vinelandii dlya oderzhannya bakterialnoho preparatu dlya roslynnytstva. Kurdysh IK, Beha ZT. Opubl. 15.08.2006. Byul. 8. Ukrainian.
- Patent Ukrainy 54923 A. Shtam Bacillus subtilis dlya oderzhannya bakterialnoho preparatu dlya roslynnytstva. Kurdysh IK, Roy AO. Opubl. 17.03.2003. Byul. 3. Ukrainian.
- Fridovich I. Superoxide anion radical (O·̄2), superoxide dismutases, and related matters. J Biol Chem. 1997; 272(30):18515–18517. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.272.30.18515
- Halliwell B, Gutteridge JMC. Free radicals in biology and medicine. 3rd ed. Oxford University Press: Oxford; 1999.
- Abrashev RI, Pashova SB, Stefanova LN, Vassilev SV, Dolashka-Angelova PA, Angelova MB. Heat-shock-induced oxidative stress and antioxidant response in Aspergillus niger 26. Can J Microbiol. 2008; 54(12):977–983. https://doi.org/10.1139/W08-091
- Hao Y, Wu HT, Liu YF, Hu QP. Mitigative effect of Bacillus subtilis QM3 on root morphology and resistance enzyme activity of wheat root under lead stress. Advances in Microbiology. 2015; 5(6):469–478. https://doi.org/10.4236/aim.2015.56048
- Yun YS, Lee YN. Production of superoxide dismutase by Deinococcus radiophilus. J Biochem Mol Biol. 2003; 36(3):282–287. https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2003.36.3.282
- El Shafey HM, Ghanem S, Merkamm M, Guyonvarch A. Corynebacterium glutamicum superoxide dismutase is a manganese-strict non-cambialistic enzyme in vitro. Microbiol Res. 2008; 163(1):80–86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micres.2006.05.005
- Egorova NS. [Rukovodstvo k prakticheskim zanatiam po microbiologii]. MGU: Moscow; 1995. Russian.
- Bradford MM. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem. 1976; 72(1–2):248–254. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(76)90527-3
- Bernas T, Dobrucki JW. The role of plasma membrane in bioreduction of two tetrazolium salts, MTT, and CTC. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2000; 380(1):108–116. https://doi.org/10.1006/abbi.2000.1907
- Kurdish IK. [Interaction of bacteria with solid materials and nanomaterials as basis new biotechnology]. Mikrobiol Z. 2018; 80(3):15–28. Ukrainian. https://doi.org/10.15407/microbiolj80.03.015
- Skorochod IO, Kurdish IK. [Antioxidant and antiradical activities of the culture medium of Azotobacter vinelandii IMV B-7076]. Abstract of reports XV-th Congress of Vinogradskyi Society of Microbiologists of Ukraine; 2017 Sep 11–15; Odessa. 2017. p. 149. Ukrainian.
- Wilson MA, Tran NH, Milev AS, Kamali Kannangara GS, Volk H, Max Lu GQ. Nanomaterials in soils. Geoderma. 2008; 146(1–2):291–302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2008.06.004
- Maurice PA, Hochella MF. Nanoscale particles and processes: A new dimension in soil science. Adv Agron. 2008; 100:123–153. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2113(08)00605-6
- Adams LK, Lyon DY, Alvarez PJJ. Comparative ecotoxicity of nanoscale TiO2, SiO2 and ZnO suspensions. Water research. 2006; 40(19):3527–3532. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2006.08.004