Mikrobiol. Z. 2019; 81(5):62-72.
New Antibiotic Substances of the Streptomyces albus Enzybiotic Complex
Todosiichuk T.S.1, Klochko V.V.2, Savchuk Ya.I.2, Kobzysta O.P.3
1National Technical University of Ukraine “Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute”
37 Peremohy Ave., Kyiv, 03056, Ukraine
2Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
3National Transport University
1 Omelianovycha-Pavlenka Str., Kyiv, 01010, Ukraine
The aim. Extraction and characterization of the metabolic products of antibiotic nature from bacteria Streptomyces albus, analysis of the antimicrobial complex from the perspective of an enzyme preparation development. Methods. Streptomyces albus UN 44, the producer of the bacteriolytic enzymes was used in the study. The antagonistic activity of the culture was determined by the streak plate method. The antibiotic activity was evaluated with the paper-disks method and with the bioautographic assay. Extracted antibiotic substances were analyzed with the thin-layer and liquid chromatography techniques coupled with mass spectrometry. Results. The compounds with antifungal activity were extracted from the S. albus UN 44. These compounds had a partition coefficient of 0.65 and an absorption maximum within 270–275 nm. The phenolic group was determined in their molecule too. The compounds were identified as bis(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate and 3-O-methylcyclopolic acid. Conclusions. For the first time there was detected the ability of the S. albus UN 44 to synthesize antibacterial and antifungal antibiotics that are related to phthalaldehyde derivatives.
Keywords: Streptomyces albus, enzybiotics, antibiotics, bacteriolysins, antagonism, chromatography, antimicrobial spectrum.
Full text (PDF, in English)
- Chakraborty A. Enzybiotics, A New Class of Enzyme Antimicrobials Targeted against Multidrug-Resistant Superbugs. Nov Appro Drug Des Dev. 2017; 2:1–4.
- Donlan R, Costerton J. Biofilms: survival mechanisms of clinically relevant microorganisms. Clinical Microbiology. 2002; 15(2):167–193. https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.15.2.167-193.2002
- Xu G, Zhao Y, Du L. Hfq regulates antibacterial antibiotic biosynthesis and extracellular lytic enzyme production in Lysobacter enzymogenes OH11. Microb Biotechnol. 2015; 8(3):499–509. https://doi.org/10.1111/1751-7915.12246
- Rios Colombo N, Chalon M, Navarro S, Bellomio A. Pediocin-like bacteriocins: new perspectives on mechanism of action and immunity. Curr Genet. 2017:27–34. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00294-017-0757-9
- Sudhakar G, Kamath B, Pai A. Enzybiotics – A Review. International Journal of Pharmacological Research. 2013; 3(I.4):69–71.
- Tiwari R, Dhama K, Chakraborty S, Kapoor S. Enzybiotics: New Weapon in the Army of Antimicrobials: A Review. Asian Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances. 2014:10-20. https://doi.org/10.3923/ajava.2014.144.163
- Lazarenko L, Babenko L, Bubnov R, Demchenko O, Zotsenko V, Boyko N, Spivak M. Imunobiotics are the novel biotech drugs with antibacterial and immunomodulatory properties. Microbiol Z. 2017; 79(1):66–75. https://doi.org/10.15407/microbiolj79.01.066
- Carlos Sao-Jose. Review Engineering of Phage-Derived Lytic Enzymes: Improving Their Potential as Antimicrobials Antibiotics. 2018; 7(2):8–29. https://doi.org/10.3390/antibiotics7020029
- Zhernosekova I, Sokolova I, Kilochek T. [Characteristic of Streptomyces recifensis var. lyticus 2P-15 bacteriolytic complex]. Bull Inst Silskogosp Microbiol. 2000: 7:31–32. Russian.
- Todosiichuk T, Pokas O. [Analyz specifichnosti gotovyh antymicrobnyh preparativ z Streptomyces albus]. East Europ J. 2015; 4(76):58–61. Ukrainian.
- Zhernosekova IV, Tymchuk AA, Tkachenko VP, Vinnikov AI. [Effect of metabolic products of Streptomyces recifensis var. lyticus on the vegetables sprouts growth]. Microbiol and Biotechn. 2014; 1:79–90. Ukrainian. https://doi.org/10.18524/2307-4663.2014.1(25).48252
- Pokas OV, Polishchuk OI, Todosiichuk TS. [The effect of the ferment Cytorecifen-M capasity to form biofilms by strains Pseudomonas aeruginosa]. Profilakt Medicina. 2011; 2(14):81–85. Ukrainian.
- Herhardt F. [Metody obschei bacteriologii]. Moscow Mir; 1983. Russian.
- Kharitonov Yu, Grigoreva V. [Primery i zadachi po analiticheskoy himii]. Moscow Geotar-Media; 2008. Russian.
- Cheronis N. Micro- i polumicrometody organicheskoy himii. Moscow Inostrannaya Literatura; 1960.
- Klochko V. Biosynthesis and properties of antibiotic batumin. Biotechnologia Acta. 2014; 7(6):46–50. https://doi.org/10.15407/biotech7.06.046
- Korzybski T, Kowszyk Z, Kurylowicz W. Antibiotics: origin, nature and properties. Warszawa: Polish scientific publisher; 1967.
- Djerassi C, Connolly J, Faulkner D. Dictionary of natural products. London: Chapman and Hall; 1994.
- Manoharadas S, Wittle A, Blasi U. Antimicrobial activity of a chimeric enzybiotic towards Staphylococcus aureus. Journal of Biotechnology. 2010; 139(I.1):118–123. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiotec.2008.09.003
- Costerton J, Montanaro L, Aciola C. Biofilm in implant infections: its production and regulation. Int J Artif Organs. 2005; 28(11):1062–1068. https://doi.org/10.1177/039139880502801103
- Gupta P, Nagarsenker M. Antimicrobial and antibiofilm activity of enzybiotic against Staphylococcus aureus. The battle against microbial pathogens: Basic science, Technological advances and Educational programs. 2015:364–372.