Mikrobiol. Z. 2019; 81(2):14-24.
Bromothymol Blue as the Universal Indicator for Determining the Stereometric Allocation of pH and Eh
in the Medium in Heterophase Microorganisms Cultivation
Tashyrev O.B., Sioma I.B., Tashyreva G.O., Hovorukha V.M.
Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Purpose. The purpose of this research was the investigation of the possibility of using bromothymol blue as a RedOx indicator and the measuring of RedOx potential value of bromothymol blue decolouring. Methods. The research was run using conventional microbiological, potentiometrical, physical and chemical methods. Results. It is shown for the first time, that bromothymol blue is a multipurpose indicator for the determination of pH and RedOx potential (Eh) of the medium during the heterophase solid substrate fermentation by microorganisms. The bromothymol blue solution provides the visual control over the pH value dynamics in the range of 4.5–7.5 and Eh≥–200 mV (at рН 7.0). Conclusions. Application of bromothymol blue in the heterophase fermentation of solid substrate allows visualising of the zones with altered pH and Eh, their stereometric distribution and changing configuration in time. The ability of bromothymol blue to be a RedOx indicator as well as pH indicator expands the opportunity of its use in microbiological and biothechnological research.
Keywords: bromothymol blue, Eh indicator, heterophase cultivation.
Full text (PDF, in English)
- Giltay E, Aberson J. Recherches sur un mode de denitrification et sur le schizomycete qui la produit. Arch. neerl. Sc. 1892; 25:341–61.
- Henneman Sheila A., Kohn Frank S. Methylene blue staining of tissue culture monolayers. Methods in Cell Science. 1975; 1(2):103.
- Murray PR. ASM Pocket Guide to Clin. Micro. ASM Press: Washington D.C; 1996.
- Kuswandi B, Fikriyah CI, Gani AA. An optical fiber biosensor for chlorpyrifos using a single sol-gel film containing acetylcholinesterase and bromothymol blue. Talanta. 2008; 74(4):613–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2007.06.042
- Sioma IB, Tashyrev OB. [Detoxication of toxic chromate in the process of environmentally hazardous food waste fermentation by soil microorgasnisms]. Visnyk Agrarnoii Nauky. 2015; (7):49–53. Ukrainian.
- Mironenko AY, Sergeev AA, Voznesenskiy SS, Marinin DV, Bratskaya SY. pH indicators doped polysaccharide LbL coatings for hazardous gases optical sensing. Carbohydr. Polym. 2013; 92(1):769–74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2012.09.076
- Qi ZM, Yimit A, Itoh K, Murabayashi M, Matsuda N, Takatsu A, Kato K. Composite optical waveguide composed of a tapered film of bromothymol blue evaporated onto a potassium ion-exchanged waveguide and its application as a guided wave absorptionbased ammonia-gas sensor. Opt Lett. 2001; 26(9):629–31. https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.26.000629
- Yuan S, De Grandpre MD. Evaluation of indicator-based pH measurements for freshwater over a wide range of buffer intensities. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2008; 42(16):6092–9. https://doi.org/10.1021/es800829x
- Jacob H.-E. Redox Potential. Methods in Microbiology. 1970; 2:91–123. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0580-9517(08)70218-6
- Tashyrev AB, Radchenko OS, Galinker EV. [The Escherichia coli growth in highly reduced medium]. Himiya I tehnologiya vody. 1992; 14(6):458–64. Russian.
- Zehnder A., Wuhrmann K. Titanium (III) citrate as a nontoxic oxidation-reduction buffering system for the culture of obligate anaerobes. Science. 1976; 194(4270):1165–6. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.793008
- Tashyrev AB [The method of titan (III) sterilisation by autoclaving in oxygen-free atmosphere]. Mikrobiologiya. 1988; 57(1):159–61. Russian.
- Tashyrev AB, Radchenko OS, Danko YM, Chernyshenko DV, Gvozdiak PI. [Iron (II) as a reductant for anaerobic microorganisms cultivation]. Mikrobiologiya. 1989; 58(5):854–7. Russian.