Mikrobiol. Z. 2019; 81(1):9-21.
Research on Streptomycetes from Moldovian Soils with Antifungal,
Nematicidal and Phytostimulating Activity on Tomato
Burtseva S.1, Iurcu-Straistaru E.2, Birsa M.1, Sasanelli N.3
1Institute of Microbiology and Biotechnology
1 Academiei Str., Chisinau, MD-2028, Republic of Moldova
2Institute of Zoology
1 Academiei Str., Chisinau, MD-2028, Republic of Moldova
3Institute of Sustainable Plant Protection
122/D Amendola Str., Bari, I-70126, Italy
Aim. The purpose of the research was to determine the antifungal, nematicidal and phytostimulating activity of streptomycetes isolated from the soil of Moldova. Methods. The strains were stored on the media Czapek and oatmeal agar by subculturing. Antifungal activity was determined by disk diffusion method, using phytopathogenic fungi as test cultures. To determine the nematicidal and phytostimulating activity of exometabolites of the studied strains, they were cultivated on complex medium M-I and aqueous solutions of exometabolites (EM) were prepared that were contained in the liquid culture after it was separated from the biomass by centrifugation. Tomato seeds were treated by soaking in EM solutions and the germination and length of the roots were determined. Nematicidal activity was determined by mortality test. Results. Strains that completely inhibited the growth of A. alternata, B. cinerea and S. solani (S. sp. 9, 10 and 17) or retarded the growth of test cultures to different degrees (zone diameters from 25.0 to 34.0 mm) were found. For nematicidal activity, the best results were shown by EM strains of S. spp. 9 and 205. The best results on the germination of tomato seeds of the cv. Fakel were obtained by treating with a 0.5% solution of EM strains of S. spp. 49 and 154 (by 11.32% more than in control), and for root growth – of EM of all strains (73-89% more than in control). Conclusions. Studies have shown that the EM of streptomycetes isolated from the soil of Moldova can be used to obtain new plant growth stimulants and biopesticides.
Keywords: Streptomyces, phytopathogens, antifungal and nematicidal activities, phytostimulation.
Full text (PDF, in English)
- Azizbekean RR. [The use of spore-forming bacteria as biological plant protection products]. Biotehnologia. 2013; 1:69–77. Russian.
- Osledkin YS. [Place and role of the collection of microorganisms in the system of biotechnological control]. Agro XXI. 1997; 5:8–9. Russian.
- Andreiuk EI, Vladimirova EV, Kogan SB. [Actinomycetes of the soils of the south of the European part of the USSR and their biological activity]. Kyiv: Nauk. dumka; 1974. Russian.
- Galagan TA, Sigareva DD, Iutinskaya GA, Boltovskaya EV, Belyavskaya LA, Kozyritskaya VE. [Using avercom against root-knot nematodes on cucumbers in greenhouses]. Inform. IOBC Bulletin SPMS. 2009; 39:80–85. Russian.
- Yamborko NA, Leonova NO, Iutinskaya GA. [Synthesis of phytohormones by soil organisms-destructors of organochlorine compounds]. Mikrobiologia i biotehnologia. 2016; 4:96–107. Russian.
- Zenova GM. [Soil Actinomycetes]. Moscow: Izdat MSU; 1992. Russian.
- Zveagintsev DG, Zenova GM. [Ecology of Actinomycetes]. Moscow: GEOS; 2001. Russian.
- Zvenigorodskiy VI, Kuzin AI, Shagov EM, Azizbekean RR, Zenova GM, Voeikova TA. [Antagonist microbes (streptomycetes and bacilli) isolated from different soil types]. Soil science. 2004; 7:860–866. Russian.
- Burtseva SA. [Biologically active substances streptomyces. Biosynthesis, properties, perspectives]. Manuscript of PhD thesis. Chisinau, 2002. Russian.
- Egorov NS. [Fundamentals of the study of antibiotics]. Moscow: Nauka; 2004. Russian.
- Krasilnikov NA. [Radiant fungi (higher forms)]. Moscow: Izdat AN SSSR; 1970. Russian.
- Birsa M, Bereziuk Y, Vasiliciuc A, Burtseva S. [Use of preparations of Streptomycetes in ecology, phytotechnology and zootechnics]. In: Integration through research and innovation. Summary of communications "Natural and exact sciences", Chisinau, 2016. p. 131–4. Romanian.
- Andreiuk EI, Iutinskaya GA, Аntipchuk АF. [Functioning of microbial coenoses in conditions of anthropogenic loading]. Кyiv: Оberegy; 2001. Ukrainian.
- Reabova AS, Bagmet VB, Nazarova LY, Kuzimina SR, Abdullin SR. [Effect of antibiotics and ultraviolet radiation on cyanobacteria, diatoms and green algae]. Proceedings of the Ufa Scientific Center RAS. 2015; 4(1):131–133. Russian.
- Iutynska GO, Ponomarenko SP. [Bioregulation of microbial-plant systems]. Kyiv: Nichlava; 2010. Russian.
- Drynan LF. Some studies on lipids and lipase activities in Streptomyces rimosus. MSc(R) thesis, University of Glasgow; 1995.
- Kudoearova GR, Kurdish IK, Melentiev IK. [Synthesis of phytohormones by soil and rhizosphere bacteria as a factor stimulating plant growth]. Proceedings of the Ufa Scientific Center RAS. 2011; 3–4:5–16. Russian.
- Dicklow MB, Acosta N, Zuckerman BM. A novelstreptomyces species for controlling plant-parasitic nematodes. Journal of Chemical Ecology. 1993; 19(2):159–173. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00993686
- Shirokih AA, Shupletzova ON, Merzaeva OV, Abubakirova RI. [Microorganisms and growth regulators in increasing crop yields and plant resistance to diseases and stress]. In: Materials of 9th scient. practical conference «Regional and municipal environmental issues». Kirovo-Chepetsk, 2006. p. 114–6. Russian.
- Sun MH, Gao L, Shi YX, Li BJ, Liu XZ. Fungi and Actinomycetes associated with Meloidogyne spp. eggs and females in China and their biocontrol potential. Journal of Invertebrate pathology. 2006; 93(1):22–28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jip.2006.03.006
- Gause GF, Preobrazhenskaya TP, Sveshnikova MA, Terehova LP, Maximova TS. [Determination of Actinomycetes]. Moscow: Nauka; 1983. Russian.
- Vozneakovskaya YM. [Preseeding stimulation of seeds by microorganisms - producers of vitamins]. In: All-Soviet conf. "Microorganisms – stimulants and inhibitors of plant and animal growth", part 1. Tashkent, 1989; p. 67. Russian.
- Burtseva SA, Rastimeshina IO, Tofilat SD, Achiri I, Iliash MV, Postolatii GV. [Biological activity of exometabolite complex of new variants of strain Streptomyces sp. 22]. In: X z'izd tovarystva mikrobiologiv Ukrainy. Tezy dopovidei, Odessa; 2004. Russian.
- Novikova II, Boikova IV, Pavliushin VA, Matevosean TL, Parshin VT. [Polyfunctional microbiological preparations for plant protection]. Inform. bull. MOBB. SPb. 2002; 33:147-159. Russian.
- Rastimeshina IO, Burtseva SA, Leshanu MG, Perevalov RG. [Exometabolites of Streptomycetes as regulators and stimulators of plant growth in an in vitro culture]. In: Scientific Conference with International Participation dedicated to the 65th anniversary of the founding of the SUM, part 1, Natural and exact sciences, 2011; p. 62–4. Russian.
- Ponomarenko SP. [Plant growth bioregulation]. In: Regulation of growth, development and production of plants. In: Materials of 3rd scient. conference, Minsk, 2003; p. 101–2. Russian.
- Biliavska L.O. Actynobacteria of the genus Streptomyces and its metabolites in bioregulation of plants. Manuscript degree of Doctor of Biological Sciences. 03.00.07 − microbiology (091 − Biology). Kyiv; 2018.