Mikrobiol. Z. 2018; 80(4):69-77. Ukrainian.
Mycobiota of Panicum miliaceum L. Grain in Polissya and Forest-Steppe of Ukraine
Klyuchevych M.M., Stolyar S.H.
Zhytomyr National Agroecological University
7 Staryy Blv., Zhytomyr, 10002, Ukraine
Aim. Identification of pathogenic mycobiota and its species composition as a result of phytopathological examination of the millet grain. Methods. Samples for the study were selected during 2013 – 2015 in research institutions (research field of ZNAEU and of IAH of Polissya of NAASU) and in agricultural enterprises of various forms of ownership of Zhytomyrska, Rivnenska, Vinnytska, Khmelnytska and Chernihivska regions. Commonly used mycological and phytopathological research methods (of enrichment culture and direct inoculation of the samples on the nutrient medium) were used for detection of epiphytic and endophytic mycobiota of grain. Results. It was determined that millet grain was annually attacked by pathogens of fungal etiology in the range from 11 to 45 % in Polissya and from 5 to 50 % in Forest-steppe, which are represented by Sphacelotheca destruens (Schltdl.) J.A. Stev. & Aar. G. Johnson, Bipolaris panici-miliacei (Y. Nisik.) Shoemaker, Fusarium culmorum (W.G. Sm.) Sacc., F. verticillioides (Sacc.) Nirenberg, F. sporotrichioides Sherb., Magnaporthe grisea (T.T. Hebert) M.E. Barr, Alternaria alternata (Fr.) Keissl., Ascochyta sp. species. Saprophytic mycobiota was determined: Rhizopus nigricans Ehrenb. and Mucor mucedo Fresen. Spatial frequency of occurrence of micromycete species of millet grain was defined. Bipolaris panici-miliacei (66.7 %) was a dominant species in Polissya. Alternaria alternata (57.1 %) in Polissya and Bipolaris panici-miliacei (31.9 %) in Forest-steppe were attributed as such species which occur frequently. The rest of pathogens was attributed as species with spatial frequency not more than 27.8 %. Conclusions. It was determined that seed material was more infected by pathogenic microorganisms in Polissya than in Forest-steppe, it depended on weather conditions which occurred during the millet growing season. It was defined that the most common seed pathogens are B. panici-miliacei and A. alternata in Polissya and in Forest-steppe of Ukraine.
Keywords: Panicum miliaceum L., grain, mycobiota, species composition, frequency of occurrence.
Full text (PDF, in Ukrainian)
- Savitsky KA, Yashovsky IV, Ryznichenko IP. [Millet]. Kiev: Urozhai; 1973. Ukrainian.
- Klyuchevich MM, Stolyar SG. [Development of millet diseases in the agrophytocenosis of Polissya and Forest-steppe of Ukraine]. Agriculture and forestry. 2016; 4:72-79. Ukrainian.
- Millet in the Great Plains. URL: https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/30100000/2008Documents/2008/474.pdf
- Milliano W, Frederiksen R, Bengston G. Sorghum and millet diseases: a second world review, India: International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics; 1992.
- Petrenkova VP, Chernyayeva IR, Markova TYu et al. [Phytosanitary state]. Quarantine and Plant Protection. 2004; 8:6-8. Ukrainian.
- Petrenkova VP, Chernyayeva IR, Markova TYu et al. [Seed infection of field crops]. Kharkiv: Magda Ltd; 2004. Ukrainian.
- Bilai VI, Gvozdyak RI, Skripal IG, et al.; Ed. Bilay VI. [Microorganisms are agents of plant diseases]. Kiev; 1988. Russian.
- [Methods of experimental mycology: referencebook] ed. Bilay VI., Kyiv: Naukova Dumka; 1982. Russian.
- Bilay VI. [Fusaria]. Kiev: Naukova Dumka; 1977. Russian.
- Pidoplichko NM. [Parasitic fungi of cultivated plants]. The identification guide in 3 volumes, Kiev: Naukova. Dumka; Vol. 1, 1977. Vol. 2, 1977. Vol. 3, 1978. Russian.
- Pidoplichko NM, Milko AA. [Atlas of mucoral fungi]. Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 1971. Russian.
- Ellis MB. Dematiaceous Hyphomycetes. CAB International; 1993.
- Mirchink TG. [Soil mycology]. Moscow: Moscow State University; 1988. Russian.
- Dospechov BA. [Methods of field experiments (with the fundamentals of statistical processing of the results of research)]. Moscow: Agropromizdat; 1985. Russian.
- Lysov VN. [Millet]. Leningrad: Kolos; 1968. Russian.
- Cheremisina ED. [Bacteriosis of millet in the Kamennaya Steppe]. In: Proceedings of theZonal scientific and methodical meeting of workers of scientific research institutions of agriculture TsChP Kamenaya Step; 1973. p. 96-93. Russian.
- Sokolov AA. [Millet]. Moscow: Sel'khozhiz; 1939. Russian.
- Bobkova ZN, Khanygin AN. [About the standards of the millet affection of a dustybunt]. Selection, seed-growing and technology of millet-growing in the southeast. Saratov. 1981; 1:80-86. Russian.
- Surkov YuS. [Diseases of millet and measures of fight against them]: the extended abstract of dissertation on competition of a scientific degree of the candidate of agricultural sciences. Kyiv; 1981. Russian.
- Kazenas LD. [Diseases of agricultural plants in Kazakhstan]. Kainar; 1965. Russian.
- Koybishaev M. [Biological bases of complex protection of millet from the major diseases in Kazakhstan]: the extended abstract of dissertation on competition of a scientific degree of the doctor of agricultural sciences. St. Petersburg; 1993. Russian.