Mikrobiol. Z. 2021; 83(2):73-81.
Anti-Adenovirus Activity of the Medical Intranasal Drug Nazoferon
O.Yu. Povnitsa1, L.O. Biliavska1, Yu.B. Pankivska1, S.D. Zagorodnya1, M.I. Borshchevskaya2
1Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
63 Kyrylivska Str., Kyiv, 04080, Ukraine
Currently, 90 different types of human adenoviruses (HAdV) are known, which have been classified into seven species from A to G and new adenovirus types continue to emerge. Antigenic diversity of viruses inhibits the process of creating universal vaccines and causes the development of resistance to direct-acting antiviral drugs. In addition to the rapid development of drug resistance, too narrow a range of existing drugs and a significant number of side effects limits the treatment of adenoviral infections. There is currently no specific etiotropic antiviral drug. Therefore, the development of new effective drugs and the selection of the optimal drug for the treatment of infections caused by adenoviruses remain relevant. The aim of the study was to investigate the antiviral properties of the drugs Nazoferon spray and Nazoferon drops in a model of human adenovirus serotype 3. Methods. Determination of cytotoxicity and antiviral action of drugs was performed by standard colorimetric method using MTT. The titer of the virus, synthesized in the presence of drugs was determined by the end point of dilution of the virus, which causes 50% development of the cytopathic effect of the virus on cells (СPE). Results. Low cytotoxicity of Nazoferon spray and Nazoferon drops (manufactured by JSC Farmak, Ukraine) was shown, CC50 is 53854 IU/ml and 54357 IU/ml, respectively. Quantitative and qualitative composition of excipients had no cytotoxic effect. In prophylactic regimens, interferon preparations did not inhibit the reproduction of adenovirus in vitro. Taking into account that most of the virions remain associated with the cells during the reproduction of adenovirus in the cell, we used test to determine infectivity lysates of infected and treated cells. The infectious titer of the synthesized HAdV3 was reduced by 3.2 log10 and 3.7 log10 for Nazoferon spray and drops, respectively. Conclusions. Nazoferon spray and drops can be recommended as anti-adenoviral drugs that block the reproduction of adenovirus, and due to their bioavailability and low cost have significant advantages in the treatment of acute respiratory infections (ARIs) caused by human adenoviruses.
Keywords: human adenoviruses, Nazoferon spray and drops, alpha-2-b recombinant human interferon.
Full text (PDF, in English)
- Lion T. Adenovirus infections in immunocompetent and immunocompromised patients. Clinical Microbiology Reviews. 2014; 27(3):441–62. https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.00116-13
- Osidak L, Yanina M, Zarubayev V, Goncharova E, Alekseeva O. [Prevention of adenoviral infection in preschool institutions using the drug recombinant interferon α-2β]. Pediatric infections. 2016; 2:9–14. Russian. https://doi.org/10.22627/2072-8107-2016-15-2-9-14
- Tatochenko VK. [Treatment of acute respiratory diseases in children]. The attending physician. 2005; 7. Russian.
- Epiphanova NV, Navikova NA. [The role of adenoviruses in the occurrence of acute intestinal infection in children. Analytical Review] Medial. 2014; 2(12):45–57. Russian.
- Lviv N, Pisareva M, Maltsev O. [Features of the etiological structure of SARS in certain age and occupational groups of the population of St. Petersburg in the epidemic season 2013–2014]. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2014; 6(3):62–70. Russian.
- Lviv N, Solomina A, Zhdanov K, Lobzin Y. [Features of the clinical course of acute respiratory diseases caused by adenoviruses of epidemically significant serotypes]. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2014; 6(2):5–11. Russian.
- Baranaeva EA. [Acute respiratory viral infections in children: clinical features, modern possibilities of prevention and treatment]. Medical News. 2015; 12:7–10. Russian.
- Yulish E. [Antiviral therapy in the treatment of acute respiratory diseases in children]. Modern Pediatrics. 2013; 5(53):75–79. Russian.
- Tram T, Burchette JL, Hale LP. Fatal Dessiminated Adenovirus Infection in Immunocompromised Patients. American Journal of Clinical Pathology, 2003; 120:575–83. https://doi.org/10.1309/AWXDGNC5D70EN7YT
- Cant AJ. Viral infections in the immunocompromised. In: Proceedings of the 26th annual meeting of the European society for pediatric infections diseases. ESPID; 2008 May 13–17; Graz, Austria. 2008. p. 36.
- Toth K, Hussein ITM, Tollefson AE, Ying B, Spencer JF, Eagar J, James SH, Prichard MN, Wold WSM, Bowlin TL. Filociclovir is a potent in vitro and in vivo inhibitor of human adenoviruses. Antimicrob Agents Chemother.
- Nosach LN. [Adenovirus infection and prospects for its treatment]. Practical Medicine. 2011; 13(1): 66–72. Ukrainian.
- Strand M. The discovery of antiviral compounds targeting adenovirus and herpes simplex virus. Assessment of synthetic compounds and natural products: Doctoral thesis/Department of Clinical Microbiology, Virology. Umeå University. Umeå; 2014.
- Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and surviral: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods. 1983; 65:55–63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(83)90303-4
- Kodama E, Shigeta S, Suzuki T, De Clerq E. Application of gastric cancer cell line (MKN-28) for anti-adenovirus screening using the MTT method. Antiviral Research. 1996; 31:159–64. https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-3542(96)06966-5
- Povnitsa OYu, Biliavska LO, Pankivska YuB, et al. [Anti-adenoviral activity of Neoflazid in vitro]. Mikrobiol Z. 2018; 80:98–109. Ukrainian. https://doi.org/10.15407/microbiolj80.05.098
- Mary Miu Yee Waye, Chor Wing Sing. Anti-Viral Drugs for Human Adenoviruses. Pharmaceuticals. 2010; 3:3343–3354. https://doi.org/10.3390/ph3103343
- Shcherbinskaya AM, Dyachenko NS, Rybalko SL, Nosach LM, Dyadyun ST, Vrynchanu NO. [Preclinical studies of drugs. Guidelines]. Kyiv. 2001; 371–395. Russian.
- Gordon YJ, Romanowski E, Araullo-Cruz T, De Clercq E. Pretreatment with topical 0.1% (S)-1-(3-hydroxy-2-phosphonylmethoxypropyl) cytosine inhibits adenovirus type 5 replication in the New Zealand rabbit ocular model. Cornea. 1992; 11(6):529–533. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003226-199211000-00008
- Uchio E, Inoue H, Fuchigami A, Kadonosono K. Anti-adenoviral effect of interferon-β and interferonγ in serotypes that cause acute keratoconjunctivitis. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2011; 39(4):358–63. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-9071.2010.02457.x
- Nwanegbo EC, Romanowski EG, Gordon YJ, Gambotto A. Efficacy of topical immunoglobulins against experimental adenoviral ocular infection. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007; 48(9):4171–6. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.07-0491
- Sologub TV, Golobokov GS, Tsvetkov VV, Tokin II. [Interferon-gamma in the treatment of influenza and other respiratory viral infections]. Medical advice. 2015; 7:54–8. Russian.
- Savenkova MS. [Treatment of viral infections: the problem of choosing effective antiviral drugs]. Pediatrics. 2012; 91(6):70–7. Russian.
- Samsygina GA. [Modern treatment of acute respiratory diseases in children]. Pediatrics. 2013; 92(3):38–42. Russian.
- Narovlyansky AN, Ershov FI, Ginsburg AL. [Interferons: promising areas of research]. Immunology. 2013; 3:168–172. Russian.
- Dzyublyk IV, Dyachenko NS, Rybalko SL, Shcherbinskaya AM, Nosach LM, Voronenko SG, Poroghnitsky VG. [Manual on chemotherapy of viral infections. Educational and methodical manual for doctors]. Kyiv Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine. Kyiv; 2004. Ukrainian.
- Kitajewski J, Schneider RJ, Safer B, et al. Adenovirus VAI RNA antagonizes of interferon by preventing activation of the interferon-induced eIF2 alpha kinase. Cell. 1986; 45(2):195–200. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(86)90383-1
- Yushchuk ND, Khadartsev OS. [Prevention of influenza and acute respiratory viral infections, taking into account the peculiarities of their epidemic process]. Infectious diseases.2018; 7(2):44–51. Ukrainian.
- Malyshev NA, Lvov NI, Maltsev OV. [Evaluation of the effectiveness and safety of complex therapy of acute respiratory diseases of adenoviral etiology in young people]. The attending physician.2018; 5:89–94. Russian.
- Kuznetsov SV, Kopeichenko TS. [Interferonotherapy of acute respiratory viral infections in children. Journal of current infectology]. 2016; 1(10):48–50. Russian. https://doi.org/10.22141/2312-413x.1.10.2016.74543
- Besh LV. [Evaluation of the effectiveness of interferon drugs in the treatment of acute respiratory viral infections in children who are often ill]. Health of Ukraine. 2014; 9:12–3. Ukrainian.
- Kramarev SO, Vygovskaya OV. [Rationale for the use of interferon drugs in acute respiratory infections in children]. Clinical immunology, allergology, infectology. 2007; 5(10). Ukrainian.
- Krasnov VV. [Influenza and SARS: the use of recombinant interferon for the treatment and prevention of children]. Pediatric Practice. 2019; 1:24–9. Ukrainian.