Mikrobiol. Z. 2021; 83(1):39-48.
Physical-Chemical and Cytotoxic Properties of Bacillus subtilis IMV B-7724 Extracellular Lectin
N.I. Fedosova1, N.L. Cheremshenko1, K.I. Hetman2, T.V. Symchych1, A.V. Chumak1,
V.O. Shliahovenko1, I.M. Voyeykova1, G.V. Didenko1
1Kavetsky Institute of Experimental Pathology, Oncology and Radiobiology
45 Vasylkivska Str., Kyiv, 03022, Ukraine
2Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Aim. To study the chemical composition, sugar specificity and physicochemical properties of the extracellular lectin isolated from Bacillus subtilis ІМV В-7724. Methods. Biochemical, spectrophotometric, immunological and cultural methods were used to assess the physicochemical and a number of biological properties of lectin isolated from the culture fluid of bacteria B. subtilis ІМV В-7724. Molecular weight of the lectin was estimated in polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. Analysis of the elemental composition was done using Perkin-Elmer 2400 CHNS analyzer. Temperature and pH stability of lectin were examined based on residual hemagglutination activity of the lectin. Cytotoxic activity was determined by the MTT-assay. The statistical analysis was made using Student’s t-test. Results. B. subtilis IMV B-7724 lectin is a glycoprotein (protein – 86.0%, carbohydrates – 7.0%) with molecular weight of 18–20 kDa (major). Analysis of the elemental composition revealed that it contains 34.00% of carbon, 7.04% of hydrogen, 16.61% of nitrogen, 42.35% of oxygen. Amino acid composition analysis determined that it is rich in leucine, tyrosine and phenylalanine. The lectin exhibited high sugar-binding specificity toward N-acetylneuraminic and N-glycolylneuraminic acids (minimal inhibitory concentration – 0.3 mM for both sugars). The lectin is heat and acid stable, has long shelf life. Conclusions. These results provide the rationale to pursue further investigation for possible ways and modes of B. subtilis IMB B-7724 lectin application in clinical settings.
Keywords: lectin, Bacillus subtilis ІМV B-7724, physicochemical properties, sugar specificity, stability, cytotoxic activity.
Full text (PDF, in English)
- Pervin MKY, Isemura M, Nakamura Y. Plant lectins in therapeutic and diagnostic cancer research. Int J Plant Biol Res. 2015; 3(2):1–6.
- Karaman OM, Fedosova NI, Voeikova IM, et al. [Perspectives of using lectins for cancer diagnostic and treatment]. Oncology. 2018; 20(1):10–6. Ukrainian.
- Shi Z, Chen J, Li CY, et al. Antitumor effects of Concanavalin A and Sophora flavescens lectin in vitro and in vivo. Acta Pharmacol. Sin. 2014; 35(2):248–56. https://doi.org/10.1038/aps.2013.151
- Coulibaly FS, Youan BC. Current status of lectin-based cancer diagnosis and therapy. AIMS Mol. Sci. 2017; 4(1):1–27. https://doi.org/10.3934/molsci.2017.1.1
- Fu LL, Zhou CC, Yao S, et al. Plant lectins: targeting programmed cell death pathways as antitumor agents. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2011; 43(10):1442–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2011.07.004
- Yau T, Dan X, Ng CC, et al. Lectins with potential for anti-cancer therapy. Molecules. 2015; 20(3):3791–810. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules20033791
- Zheng S, Wen-Wen L, Yong T, Li-Jia C. A novel molecular model of plant lectin-induced programmed cell death in cancer. Biol Pharm Bull. 2017; 40(10):1625–9. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.b17-00363
- Shalimov SA, Kolesnik EA, Grinevich YA, et al. [Adjuvant immunotherapy in treatment of patients with colorectal cancer]. Oncology. 2003; 5(2):101–6. Russian.
- Zajciuk VV, Vereshchako RI, Cheshuk VE, et al. [Efficacy of the use of antitumor autovaccine in the treatment of patients with a different morphological structure of breast cancer]. Oncology. 2006; 8(1):70–3. Ukrainian.
- Zajciuk VV, Vereshchako RI, Cheshuk VE, et al. [Efficacy of combination of anticancer autovaccine with standard anticancer treatment in breast cancer (analysis of 10-year surveillance data)]. Oncology. 2015; 17(1):47–54. Ukrainian.
- Podgorsky VS, Kovalenko EA, Karpova IS, et al. [Extracellular lectins of saprophytic strains of bacteria of the genus Bacillus (review)]. Applied Biochem Microbiol. 2014; 50(3):256–63. Russian. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0003683814030120
- Tanasienko OA, Rudyk MP, Pozur VV, Potebnya GP. [Influence of bacterial lectins on some reactions of nonspecific immunity in sarcoma 37 transplanted mice]. Exp. Oncol. 2010; 32(4):254–7. Ukrainian.
- Potebnya GP, Tanasienko OA, Lisovenko GS, Savtsova ZD. [Use of cytotoxic lectins of bacterial origin in immunotherapy of experimental tumors]. In: Structure and Biological Activity of Bacterial Biopolymers. VK Pozur, editor. Kyiv: Kyiv University; 2003. p. 235–304. Ukrainian.
- Fedosova NI, Cheremshenko NL, Getman KI, et al. [Bioactivity of the Bacillus subtilis IMV B-7724 extracellular lectin]. Mikrobiol Z. 2019; 81(4):107–17. Ukrainian. https://doi.org/10.15407/microbiolj81.04.107
- Chekhun VF, Didenko GV, Cheremshenko NL, et al. Strain of bacteria Bacillus subtilis IMB B-7724 – producer of cytotoxic substances with antitumor activity (Pat. N 131824 UA). Publ. 25.01.2019. Bul. N 2. Ukrainian.
- Podgorsky VS. The method for the obtainment of bacterial lectin, specific to sialic acids (Pat. N 1791 UA). Publ. 23.01.1991. Bul. N 1. Ukrainian.
- Laemmli K. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature. 1970; 227(5259):680–5. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
- Shlyakhovenko VA. [Rapid method for determining the concentration of protein in the microvolumes of biological fluids]. Labor Diagnostics. 1998; 276 (1):9–11. Russian.
- Riahy M, Ehsanpour AA. Effect of salinity on growth, chlorophyll, carbohydrate and protein contents of transgenic Nicotiana plumbaginifolia over expressing P5CS gene. E3 Journal of Environmental Research and Management. 2013; 4(1):0163–70.
- Yadav LDS. Infrared (IR) Spectroscopy. In: Organic Spectroscopy. Springer Science+Business Media, Dordrecht. 2005; p. 52–106. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-2575-4_3
- Nakamoto K. Infrared and Raman Spectra of Inorganic and Coordination Compounds. New Jersey: JohnWiley&Sons INC; 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470405840
- Goralsky LP. [Fundamentals of histological technology and morphofunctional methods of research in norm and in pathology]. Zhytomyr: Polissya; 2011. Ukrainian.
- Dam TK, Brewer CF. Effects of clustered epitopes in multivalent ligand-receptor interactions. Biochemistry. 2008; 47(33):8476–85. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi801208b
- Lutsik MD, Panasyuk EN, Lutsik AD. [Lectins]. Lvov: Vishcha shkola; 1981. Russian.
- Stefanov AV. [Preclinical research of medicinal products: Methodical recommendations]. Kyiv: Avicenna; 2002. Russian.
- Wilson AP. Cytotoxicity and viability assays in animal cell culture: A practical approach. 3rd ed. Ed. JRW Masters. Oxford University Press: Oxford; 2000.
- Eghianruwa Q, Odekanyin O, Kuku A. Physicochemical properties and acute toxicity studies of a lectin from the saline extract of the fruiting bodies of the shiitake mushroom, Lentinula edodes (Berk). Int J Biochem Mol Biol. 2011; 2(4):309–17.
- Muhammadiev RS, Ibragimov AN, Bagaeva TV. [Physico-chemical properties of the lectin micromycete Rhizoctonia solani]. Bulletin of biotechnology and physico-chemical biology named after YuA Ovchinnikova. 2016; 12(4):23–28. Russian.
- Sidenko AB, Vishnyakov VV, Isaev SM. [Theory of statistics]. Moscow: MAX-Press; 2011. Russian.
- Scheeren TW, Schober LP, Schwarte LA. Monitoring tissue oxygenation by near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS): background and current applications. Journal of Clinical Monitoring and Computing. 2012; 26(4):279–87. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10877-012-9348-y
- Kuchnir GV, Levytzkiy TR, Ryvak GP, et al. The characteristics of modern methods for the determination of raw protein in feeds and in plant materials. Scientific Messenger LNUVMB. 2017; 19(82):97–100. https://doi.org/10.15421/nvlvet8220
- Bekker Yu. [Spectroskopija]. Moscow: Technosphere; 2009. Russian.
- Antosiewicz JM, Shugar D. UV-Vis spectroscopy of tyrosine side-groups in studies of protein structure. Part 2: selected applications. Biophys Rev. 2016; 8(2):163–77. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12551-016-0197-7
- Trakhtenberg IM, Marchenko ML, Bezdnezhyh NO, Kudryavets Yu. [The benefits of the method of studying the toxic effects of heavy metal compounds in human cell culture in vitro compared to the traditional in vivo method in animals as more reliable and adequate]. Sovremennye problemy toksykolohyy. 2010; (2–3):69–72. Ukrainian.
- Wyska E, Mager DE, Krzyzanski W. Methods of estimation of IC50 and SC50 parameters for indirect response models from single dose data. J Pharm Sci. 2003; 92(7):1438–54. https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.10407
- Lakhtin VM, Lakhtin MV, Pospelova VV, Shenderov BA. Lectins of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria. II. Probiotic lectins of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria as possible signal molecules regulating inter- and intrapopulation relationships between bacteria and between bacteria and the host. Microbial Ecology in Health and Disease. 2007; 19(3):153–7. https://doi.org/10.1080/08910600701538257
- Varki A. Sialic acids in human health and disease. Trends Mol Med. 2008; 14(8):351–60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molmed.2008.06.002