Mikrobiol. Z. 2020; 82(3):55-64. Ukrainian.
Features of α-Galactosidase Production by Penicillium restrictum
N.V. Borzova, O.V. Gudzenko, L.D. Varbanets
Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Optimization of producer culture conditions is a necessary step in obtaining biotechnologically important enzymes. The aims were to investigate some parameters of Penicillium restrictum Gilman & Abbott cultivation, identify carbon and nitrogen sources that will provide high α-galactosidase activity, and evaluate the culture’s ability to hydrolyze galactosecontaining carbohydrates. Methods. Micromycete was grown in submerged cultivation conditions at 25°C. Rhamnose, sucrose, guar galactomannan, grapefruit mill, soy flour, NaNO2, NaNO3, (NH4)2SO4, (NH4)2NO3, urea, yeast autolysate, yeast extract, peptone were used as carbon and nitrogen sources. Glycosidase activity was determined using synthetic nitrophenyl substrates; the ability to hydrolyze raffinose, stachyose and galactomannan was evaluated by the dinitrosalicylic method. Results. It was found that the maximum of α-galactosidase activity (6.05 U/ml) and productivity (0.036 U/ml/h) of P. restrictum was observed on the 7th day of incubation in case of rhamnose, soy flour and ammonium sulfate using. The hydrolysis rate of raffinose, stachyose and galactomannan was 133, 116 and 27 μmol/min/ml, respectively. Conclusions. The high P. restrictum ability to produce α-galactosidase was shown using appropriate media. The substrate specificity and high rate of hydrolysis of raffinose, stachyose, galactomannan opens up broad prospects for α-galactosidase from P. restrictum use in food, feed, paper industry and agricultural waste processing technologies.
Keywords: α-galactosidase, Penicillium restrictum, raffinose, stachyose, galactomannan.
Full text (PDF, in Ukrainian)
- Renge VC, Khedkar SV, Nandurkar NR. Enzyme synthesis by fermentation method: a review. Sci Revs Chem Commun. 2012; 2(4):585–590.
- Goundar R, Mulimani VH. Purification and characterization of guar galactomannan degrading α-galactosidase from Aspergillus oryzae DR-5. J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2004; 14(4):863–867.
- Aleksieva P, Tchorbanov B, Nacheva L. Highyield production of alpha-galactosidase excreted from Penicillium chrysogenum and Aspergillus niger. Biotechnol Biotechnological Equipment. 2010; 24(1):1620–1623. https://doi.org/10.2478/V10133-010-0015-5
- Chauhan AS, Srivastava N, Kehri HK, Sharma B. Optimization of culture conditions for some identified fungal species and stability profile of α-galactosidase produced. Biotechnol Res Int 2013; 2013:920759. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/920759
- Katrolia P, Rajashekhara E, Yan Q, Jiang Z. Biotechnological potential of microbiala-galactosidases. Crit Rev Biotechnol, 2014; 34(4):307–317. https://doi.org/10.3109/07388551.2013.794124
- Alvarez-Cao ME, Cerdan ME, Gonzalez-Siso MI, Becerra M. Bioconversion of beet molasses to alpha-galactosidase and ethanol. Front Microbiol. 2019;10:405. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2019.00405
- Kapnoor S, Veerappa Mulimani VH. Production of α-galactosidase by Aspergillus oryzae through solid-state fermentation and its application in soymilk galactooligosaccharide hydrolysis. Braz Arch Biol Technol. 2010, 53(1):211–218. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-89132010000100026
- Malgas S, van Dyk JS, Pletschke BI. A review of the enzymatic hydrolysis of mannans and synergistic interactions between β-mannanase, β-mannosidase and α-galactosidase. World J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2015; 31(8):1167–1175. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11274-015-1878-2
- Chaplin ME, Kennedy JE. Carbohydrate analysis. Oxford: IRL Press, 1986.
- Miller GL. Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugars. Anal Chem. 1959; 31:426–428. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60147a030
- Petrova IS, Vintsyunayte MN. [Determination proteolytic activity enzyme preparations of microbial origin]. Prikl Biokhim Mikrobiol. 1966; 2(1):322–327. Russian.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. Protein measurement with folinphenol reagent. J Biol Chem.1951; 193(2):265–275.
- Borzova NV, Malanchuk VM, Varbanets LD, Seifullina II, Zubkov SV. [Optimization of culture conditions of Aspergillus niger for the synthesis of alpha-N-acetylgalactosaminidase and alphagalactosidase]. Mikrobiol Z. 2001; 63(4):27–36. Russian.
- Buglova TT, Malanchuk VM, Elanskaya IA, Zaichenko AM, Zakharova IYa. [Physiological and biochemical peculiarities of some alphagalactosidase producers]. Mikrobiol Z. 1991; 53(6):34–41. Russian.
- Raveendran S, Parameswaran B, Ummalyma SB, Abraham A, Mathew AK, Madhavan A, Rebello S, Pandey A. Applications of microbial enzymes in food industry. Food Technol Biotechnol. 2018; 56(1):16–30. https://doi.org/10.17113/ftb.56.01.18.5491
- Borzova N, Gudzenko O, Varbanets L. Purification and characterization of a naringinase from Cryptococcus albidus. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2018; 184(3):953–969. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-017-2593-2
- Borzova NV, Gladka GV, Varbanets LD, Tashyrev AB. [β-Mannanase activity of yeasts isolated in Antarctic]. Microbiol. Z. 2018; 80(2):28–43. Russian. https://doi.org/10.15407/microbiolj80.02.028
- Vittaladevaram V. Fermentative production of microbial enzymes and their applications: Present status and future prospects. J Appl Biol Biotechnol. 2017; 5(4):90–94.
- Aulitto M, Fusco S, Limauro D, Fiorentino G, Bartolucci S, Contursi P. Galactomannan degradation by thermophilic enzymes: a hot topic for biotechnological applications. World J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2019; 35(2):32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11274-019-2591-3
- Bhatia S, Singh A, Batra N, Singh J. Microbial production and biotechnological applications of α-galactosidase. Int J Biol Macromol. 2019; pii:S0141-8130(19)34841-X.
- Dey PM, Patel S, Brownleader MD. Induction of alpha-galactosidase in Penicillium ochrochloron by guar (Cyamopsis tetragonobola) gum. Biotechnol Appl Biochem. 1993; 17(3):361–371.
- de Rezende ST, Guimaraes VM, de Castro Rodrigues M, Felix CR. Purification and characterization of an α-galactosidase from Aspergillus fumigatus. Braz Arch Biol Technol. 2005; 48(2):195–202. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-89132005000200005
- Ramalingam R, Saraswathy N, Sadasivam S. Degradation of flatulence-causing oligosaccharides in soymilk by α-galactosidase – a novel thermotolerant from Penicillium purpurogenum. Indian J Biotechnol. 2010; 9:160–165.