Mikrobiol. Z. 2019; 81(6):45-57. Ukrainian.
REP-PCR Analysis of Erwinia Genus Bacteria – Infectious Agents
of Apple Trees Diseases in Ukraine
Dankevych L.A., Muchnyk F.V., Patyka V.P.
Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Aim. Genomes fingerprinting of isolated Erwinia sp., collection Erwinia horticola strains and the typical strain Erwinia amylovora UCM B-9057T was carried out for the correct species identification and evaluation of group heterogeneity. Methods. Microbiological, molecular genetic (REP-PCR) and statistical (UPGMA) methods were used in this research. Results. Тhe genetic heterogeneity of isolated Erwinia sp., collection E. horticola strains has been estimated. A significant relationship between isolated Erwinia sp. with typical E. amylovora UCM B-9057T strains for BOX, REP and ERIC profiles has been found. The heterogeneity of collection E. horticola strains by the given features has been determined. Conclusions. BOX, REP and ERIC profiling of bacteria of the Erwinia genus, infectious agents of apple tree diseases have been performed for the first time in Ukraine. The absence of genomic heterogeneity of fingerprints (100% of similarity) of isolated Erwinia sp. strains and their high similarity with fingerprint of typical E. amylovora UCМ В-9057Т strain have been determined. Similar profiles of the collection strains E. horticola are related to the profiles of E. amylovora UCM B-1095T by 85–92% (BOX-PCR), 78–89% (REP-PCR) and 64–100% (ERIC-PCR). Our results may be used for monitoring of distribution of these pathogens and identification of some strains as well as in population genetics, phylogenetics and biogeography research.
Keywords: identification, genetic heterogeneity, REP-PCR, Erwinia sp., Erwinia horticola, Erwinia amylovora.
Full text (PDF, in Ukrainian)
- Yakovleva LM, Moroz SM, Scherbina TM, Ogorodnik LE, Gvozdyak RI, Patyka VP. [Erwinia amylovora – the pathogen of arbors in Ukraine]. Mikrobiol Z. 2014; 76(4):26–33. Ukrainian.
- List of regulated pests. Ministry of Agrarian Policy of Ukraine. 2010.
- Dankevych L, Leonova N, Dragovoz I, Patyka V, Kalinichenko A, Włodarczyk P, Włodarczyk B. The synthesis of plant growth stimulators by phytopathogenic bacteria as factor of pathogenisity. Appl Ecol and Envirom Research. 2018; 16(2):1581–1593. https://doi.org/10.15666/aeer/1602_15811593
- Gvozdyak RI, Pasichnyk LA, Yakovleva LM, Moroz SM, Lytvynchuk OO, Zhytkevych NV, Hodos SF, Butsenko LN, Dankevich LA, Hrynnyk IV, Patyka VP. Phytopathogenic bacteria. Bacterial diseases of plants. V.P Patyka, editor. Kyiv: Interservice; 2011.
- Puławska J, Sobiczewski P. Phenotypic and genetic diversity of Erwinia amylovora: the causal agent of fire blight. Trees. 2012; 26:3–12. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00468-011-0643-x
- Lukach MI Fire blight and necrosis of pears and apple trees, ecological niches of their pathogens: Author’s abstract. dis candidate biology sciences - Kyiv, 2001.
- Kalinichenko A, Havrysh V, Perebyynis V. Evaluation of biogas production and usage potential. Ecological Chemistry and Engineering. 2016; 23(3):387–400. https://doi.org/10.1515/eces-2016-0027
- Kalinichenko A, Pasichnyk L, Osypenko S, Patyka V, Usmanova H, Bacterial diseases of bioenergy plants. Ecological Chemistry and Engineering A. 2017; 2(24):169–191.
- Boiko A, Tsvigun V. [Distribution of bacteriosis induced by Erwinia amylovora in various types of plants of Polissya biocenosis under condition of pathogen contamination by bacteriophage]. Agroecological journal. 2018; 2:93–96. Ukrainian. https://doi.org/10.33730/2077-4893.2.2018.157900
- Brenner DJ, Krieg NR, Staley JT, Garrity GM. Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology. 2nd ed. New York; USA; 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/0-387-28021-9
- Dankevich LA, Votselko SK, Scherbina TM, Patyka VP. [Phenotypic geterogenicity phytopathogenic bacteria belongs to the Erwinia genus – agents of apple’s bacterial disease in Ukraine]. Mikrobiol Z. 2016; 78(5):30–41. Ukrainian. https://doi.org/10.15407/microbiolj78.05.030
- Dankevich LA. [Phylogenetic analysis of pathogenic bacteria belongs to the Erwinia genus – agents of apple’s disease in Ukraine]. Mikrobiol Z. 2017; 79(3):44–55. Ukrainian. https://doi.org/10.15407/microbiolj79.03.044
- Krivokapić M, Gavrilović V, Ivanović M, Kuzmanović N, Fira Đ, Obradović A, Gašić K. Characterization and population diversity of Erwinia amylovora strains originating from pome fruits in Serbia. Pestic Phytomed. 2018; 33(3–4):175–184. https://doi.org/10.2298/PIF1804175K
- Kim WS, Gardan L, Rhim SL, Geider K. Erwinia pyrifoliae sp. nov., a novel pathogen that affects Asian pear trees (Pyrus pyrifolia Nakai). International J System Bacteriol. 1999; 49(2):899–906. https://doi.org/10.1099/00207713-49-2-899
- Lopes MM, Rosello M, Liop P, Ferrer S, Christen R, Gardan L. Erwinia piriflorinigrans sp.nov., a novel pathogen that causes necrosis of pear blossoms. International J System Bacteriol. 2011; 61:561–56. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.020479-0
- Barionovi D, Giorgi S, Stoeger AR, Ruppitsch W, Scortichini M. Characterization of Erwinia amylovora strains from different host plants using repetitive-sequences PCR analysis, and restriction fragment length polymorphism and short-sequence DNA repeats of plasmid pEA29. J Applied Microbiol. 2006; (100):1084–1094. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2006.02813.x
- McManus PS, Jones A. Genetic fingerprinting of Erwinia amylovora strains isolated from tree-fruit crops and Rubus spp. Phytopathol. 1995; 85(12):1547–1553. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-85-1547
- Radunovic D, Gavrilovic V, Gašic K, Paunovic´ M, Stojšin V, Grahovac M. Molecular characterization of Erwinia amylovora strains originated from pome fruits and indigenous plant in Montenegro. J Plant Pathol. 2017; 99(1):197–203.
- Yaich M, Fatmi M, Bougsiba M, Valentini F, Scuderi G, D’onghia AM, Cirvilleri G. Fire blight (Erwinia amylovora [Burrill] Winslow) in Morocco: importance, geographical distribution and characterization Phytopathol Mediterr. 2011; (50):212–227.
- Lagonenko AL, Kudzina IV, Evtushenkov AN. Genetic Characterization of Belarusian Erwinia amylovora strains. Acta Horticul. 2011; 896:141–146. https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2011.896.18
- Gavrilović V, Ivanović Z, Popović T, Zivković S. Characterization of Erwinia amylovora strains isolated from Quince trees in Serbia using REP-PCR method. Acta Horticul. 2014; 1056:169–172. https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2014.1056.26