Mikrobiol. Z. 2019; 81(1):22-33.
Effect of Lactobacillus plantarum on Survival of Crown Gall Agent and Tumour Formation
Limanska N.V., Galkin M.B., Ivanytsia V.O.
Odesa Mechnikov National University
2 Dvorianska Str., Odesa, 65082, Ukraine
Aim. To study the effect of Lactobacillus plantarum on formation of tumours and survival of Agrobacterium tumefaciens pJZ on surfaces and in tissues of plants. Methods. Test-plants carrots Daucus carota L. cv Carotel, kalanchoe Kalanchoe daigremontiana Raym.-Hamet., tomatoes Solanum lycopersicum L. cv Ballada, grape Vitis vinifera L. cv Pinot noir and Moldova were inoculated with phytopathogenic A. tumefaciens pJZ expressing green fluorescent protein (GFP) and L. plantarum (L. plantarum ONU 12, ONU 311, ONU 355) in a ratio 1:1. Presence of GFP-labelled A. tumefaciens pJZ cells in inoculation sites was detected by epifluorescent microscopy. Results. If inoculates contained lactobacilli, amount of plants with crown gall symptoms decreased in 85–100%. Mean weight of tumours decreased 2–12 times comparing with a control. Microscopy of tissues of symptomless plants showed that in case of treatment with lactobacilli pathogenic agrobacteria survived in 100% of carrots and grapes, 30% of tomatoes, but their populations were smaller than in positive controls inoculated only with phytopathogen and did not cause tumours. Inoculation of grape with a mixture of phytopathogen and lactobacilli resulted in stimulation of plant growth – amount of buds that grew increased in 25.8%, mean length of stems – in 28.3%, mean area of leaves – in 8.6%, that could be hypothesized as an overproduction of plant hormones as a result of possible transformation of plant tissues. Conclusions. Antagonistic L. plantarum could suppress attachment and survival of phytopathogenic A. tumefaciens pJZ on surfaces and in tissues of test-plants eliminating population of the pathogen or decreasing its density with the probable attenuation of pathogenic properties, the mechanism of which needs further investigations.
Keywords: Lactobacillus plantarum, Agrobacterium tumefaciens, survival, antagonism, crown gall, symptomless plants.
Full text (PDF, in English)
- Cai Y, Benno Y, Ogawa M, Ohmomo S, Kumai S, Nakase T. Influence of Lactobacillus spp. from an inoculant and of Weissella and Leuconostoc spp. from forage crops on silage fermentation. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 1998; 64:2982–2987.
- Daeschel MA, Andersson RE, Fleming HP. Microbial ecology of fermenting plant materials. FEMS Microbiology Reviews. 1987; 46:357–367. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.1987.tb02472.x
- Lin C, Bolsen KK, Brent BE, Hart RA, Dickerson JT, Feyerherm AM, Aimutis WR. Epiphytic microflora on alfalfa and whole plant corn. Journal of Dairy Science. 1992; 75:2484–2493. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(92)78010-2
- Visser R, Holzapfel WH, Bezuidenhout JJ, Kotze JM. Antagonism of lactic acid bacteria against phytopathogenic bacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 1986; 52:552–555.
- Trias R, Ba-eras L, Montesinos E, Badosa E. Lactic acid bacteria from fresh fruit and vegetables as biocontrol agents of phytopathogenic bacteria and fungi. International Microbiology. 2008; 11:231–236.
- Dalirsaber Jalali M, Khosro I, Ghasemi MF, Tabrizi SS. Antagonism of Lactobacillus species against Xanthomonas campestris isolated from different plants. Journal of Applied Environmental and Biological Sciences. 2012; 9:480–484.
- Lutz MP, Michel V, Martinez C, Camps C. Lactic acid bacteria as biocontrol agents of soil-born pathogens. Biological control of fungal and bacterial plant pathogens. International Organization for Biological and Integrated Control West Palaearctic Regional Section Bulletin. 2012; 78:285–288.
- Limanska NV, Korotaeva NV, Yamborko GV, Ivanytsia VO. Effect of Lactobacillus plantarum on tumor formation caused by Rhizobium radiobacter. Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2014; 1(25):8–18.
- Vasyliuk OM, Kovalenko NK, Harmasheva IL. Antahonistychni vlastyvosti shtamiv Lactobacillus plantarum, izolovanykh z tradytsiinykh fermentovanykh produktiv Ukrainy. Mikrobiol Z. 2014; 76(3):24–30. Ukrainian.
- Merlich AG, Limanska NV. Antahonistychna aktyvnist bakterii Lactobacillus plantarum, vydilenykh z roslynnykh dzherel Ukrainy ta Frantsii, proty fitopatohennykh bakterii. Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2016; 4:71–85. Ukrainian.
- de Man JC, Rogosa M, Sharpe ME. A medium for the cultivation of lactobacilli. J Appl Bacteriol. 1960; 23:130–135. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1960.tb00188.x
- Gage DJ, Bobo T, Long SR. Use of Green Fluorescent Protein to visualize early events of symbiosis between Rhizobium meliloti and Alfalfa (Medicago sativa). Journal of Bacteriology. 1996; 178:7159–7166. https://doi.org/10.1128/jb.178.24.7159-7166.1996
- Ryder MH, Tate ME, Kerr A. Virulence properties of strains of Agrobacterium on the apical and basal surfaces of carrot root discs. Plant Physiol. 1985; 77:215–221. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.77.1.215
- Lwin M, Ranamukhaarachchi SL. Development of biological control of Ralstonia solanacearum through antagonistic microbial population. Int J of Agriculture and Biology. 2006; 8(5):657–660.
- Amirdzhanov AG. Ob otsenke produktivnosti raboty listiev u sortov vinograda v sviazi s urozhaem. Izvestiia TSHA. 1963; 1:193–200. Russian.
- Lebon E, Pellegrino A, Tardieu F, Lecoeur J. Shoot development in grapevine (Vitis vinifera) is affected by the modular branching pattern of the stem and ultra- and intershoot traphic competition. Annals of Botany. 2004; 93(3):263–274. https://doi.org/10.1093/aob/mch038
- Barahona E, Navazo A, Yousef-Coronado F, Aguirre de Cárcer D, Martínez-Granero F, Espinosa-Urgel M, Martín M, Rivilla R. Efficient rhizosphere colonization by Pseudomonas ﬂuorescens f113 mutants unable to form bioﬁlms on abiotic surface. Environm Microbiol. 2010; 12(12):3185–3195. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1462-2920.2010.02291.x
- Pattewar SV, Patil DN, Dahikar SB. Antimicrobial potential of extract from leaves of Kalanchoe pinnata. Int J Pharmaceutical Sciences and research. 2013; 13:4577–4580.
- Korotaieva NV, Limanska NV, Basiul OV, Sergeeva Zh Yu, Ivanytsia VO. Vyzhyvannia laktobatsyl i ahrobakterii introdukovanykh u filosferu roslyn. Studia Biologica. 2015; 9(2):23–30. Ukrainian. https://doi.org/10.30970/sbi.0902.409
- Reina LD, Fleming HP, Breidt FJr. Bacterial contamination of cucumber fruit through adhesion. Journal of Food Protection. 2002; 65:1881–1887. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-65.12.1881
- Frazier NW, ed. Virus diseases of small fruits and grapevines. Berkeley: University of California; 1970.
- Tzfira T, Citovsky V. Agrobacterium: from biology to biotechnology. New York: Springer Verlag; 2006.
- Brencic A, Angert ER, Winans SC. Unwounded plants elicit Agrobacterium vir gene induction and T-DNA transfer: transformed plant cells produce opines yet are tumor free. Mol Microbiol. 2005; 57:1522–1531. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2958.2005.04763.x