Mikrobiol. Z. 2018; 80(6):41-53.
Antifungal Activity of Bacteria of the Genus Bacillus and Streptomyces
Isolated from the Soil of the Republic of Moldova
Shubina V.1, Birsa M.2, Burtseva S.2
1Institute of Genetics, Physiology and Plant Protection
20 Padurii Str., Chisinau, MD-2002, Republic of Moldova
2Institute of Microbiology and Biotechnology
1 Academiei Str., Chisinau, MD-2028, Republic of Moldova
Aim. The article deals with the results of research, the aim of which was to determine antifungal activity of the strains Bacillus and Streptomyces genera, in relation to phytopathogenic fungi, widely distributed in Moldova. Methods. Strains were grown on classical agar media, the antifungal activity was determined by the method of agar blocks with test cultures – phytopathogenic fungi. Biological standard was the bacterium B. subtilis 26D. In the experiments on the germination of A. alternata conidia, 5 bacterial cultures grown in liquid nutrient medium No. 2. Results. It is established that all bacteria of genus Bacillus exhibit antifungal activity against test cultures, but in varying degrees. The growth of B. cinerea and F. oxysporum was least inhibited. Strain B. subtilis S4 most actively suppressed the growth of S. sclerotiorum. Strain Streptomyces sp. 10 is able to completely suppress the growth of A. alternata and B. cinerea, and the strain S. sp 9 completely suppressed the growth of S. sclerotiorum. Strains 9, 12, and 66 actively inhibited growth of F. culmorum (the radius of the zones was 16.0 − 20.0 mm), and strain S. sp. 185 against F. oxysporum (zones up to 28.0 mm). The strongest inhibitory effect on the germination of A. alternata conidia had strain S2. Conclusions. A comparative assessment of the antifungal activity of B. subtilis revealed a strain with the most pronounced antifungal properties. The investigated liquid cultures of bacteria of the genus Bacillus exhibited a special fungicidal effect on the germination of A. alternata conidia. Among 7 strains of streptomycetes tested, particular interest had S. sp. 10, capable to completely suppressing the growth of A. alternata and B. cinerea, and the strain S. sp. 9 – completely inhibits the growth of S. sclerotiorum, as well as the strain S. sp. 185 actively inhibited the growth of F. oxysporum and the strain S. sp. 10 − A. solani.
Keywords: Bacillus, Streptomyces, germination of conidia, phytopathogens.
Full text (PDF, in English)
- Monastirski OA. [Modern trends in the creation and practical application of protective biopreparations and biotechnologies in plant growing]. In: Materials of the international scientific-prac. conf., Biological protection of plants, as a basis for ecological and phytosanitary stabilization of agroecosystems; 2010; Krasnodar, Russia; 2010; p. 335−42. Russian.
- Pavliushin VA. [Problems of modern plant protection]. In: Materials of the international scientific conferences: The problems of mycology and phytopathology in the 21st century; 2013; Sankt-Petersburg, Russia, 2013. p. 202−5. Russian.
- Grishechikin LD, Koreniuk EF, Miliutenkova TI, Silaev AI. [Microbiological preparations based on Bacillus subtilis for the protection of crops against diseases]. In: Materials of the International Scientific and Practical Conference "Biological protection of plants - the basis of stabilization of agroecosystems"; 2010; Krasnodar, Russia, 2015; p. 407−9. Russian.
- Maksimov IV, Pusenkova LI, Abizghildina RR. [Preservation of the protective potential of biologics in potato tubers in the post-vegetation period]. In: Materials of the international scientific-prac. conf., Biological protection of plants, as a basis for ecological and phytosanitary stabilization of agroecosystems; 2010; Krasnodar, Russia; 2010; p. 448−51. Russian.
- Kolomietz AI, Kuptsov VN, Romanovskaia TV, Sviridov AV, Kilichevskaia OV. [Scientific and practical basis for creating a biological product for the protection of sugar beet from storage rot]. Inform. IOMB Bulletin of Sankt-Peterburg. 2007; 38:145−147. Russian.
- Singh AK, Chhatpar HS. Purification, Characterization and Thermodynamics of Antifungal Protease From Streptomyces sp. A6. J. Basic. Microbiol. 2011; 51(4):424−432.
- Lio L, Cao L, Xiao S. Screening and Bioactivity of Antagonistic Microbial Agents Against Phytophthoric Blight on Pepper. J. Shenyang Agr. Univ. 2008; 39(2):313−317.
- Egorov NS. [The fundamentals of the doctrine of antibiotics]. Ed. Moscow State University: Moscow; 2004. Russian.
- Burril SG, Roberts WJ. Biotechnology and Economic Development, the Winning Formula. Biotechnology. 1992; 10(6):647−653.
- Dolgich YI. [Actual problems of biotechnology in plant growing]. Plant Physiology. 1996; 44(6):630−633. Russian.
- Galindo E, Ramirez OT. Bioprocess engineering. Trends Biotechnol. 1998; 16(7):282−283.
- Azizbekean RR. [The use of spore-forming bacteria as biological plant protection products]. Biotehnologia. 2013; 1:69−77. Russian.
- Hairullin RM, Egorshina AA, Lukiantsev MA, Urazbahtina NA, Irgalina RS, Sahabutdinova AR. [Biological features of endophytic strains of Bacillus subtilis as promising bases of new biopreparations]. Agrarian Russia. 2011; 3:49−53. Russian.
- Novikova II, Boikova IV, Shenin ID. [Biological features and component composition of the active complex of Streptomyces chrysomallus P-21 strain of phytopathogenic fungi]. Plant Protection Newsletter. 2006; 3:13−21. Russian.
- Zaharchenko NS, Gheorghievskaia EB, Shkolinaya AA, Yuhmanova AA, Kashparov IA, Burianov EI, et. al. [Isolation and characterization of the Bacillus subtilis K-1-1 polypeptide, a growth inhibitor of phytopathogenic fungi and bacteria]. Biotehnologia. 2007; 3:21−26. Russian.
- Zavkelova EA, Klimova SI, Cherdintseva TA, Netrusov AI. [Microorganisms – producers of plant growth stimulants and their practical application (review)]. Applied Bioch. Microb. 2006; 42(2):133−143. Russian.
- Chebotari VK, Makarova NM, Shaposhnikov AI, Kravchenko LV. [Antifungal and phytostimulating properties of the rhizosphere strain Bacillus subtilis Ch-13 – producer of bio drugs]. Applied Bioch. Microb. 2009; 45(4):419−423. Russian.
- Tihonovich IA, Kruglov IV. [Biopreparations in agriculture. Methodology and practice of application of microorganisms in plant growing and fodder production]. Izd. Rosselkhozakademiya: Moscow; 2005. Russian.
- Kalakutskii LV, Sharaea LS. [Actinomycetes and higher plants]. Successes of microbiology. 1990; 24:26−64. Russian.
- Vozneakovskaya IM. [Presowing stimulation of seeds by microorganisms - producers of vitamins]. In: All-Soviet Conference "Microorganisms - stimulants and inhibitors of plant and animal growth"; 1989; Tashkent, USSR, 1989. p. 67. Russian.
- Atta HM. An Antifungal Agent Produced by Streptomyces olivaceiscleroticus AZ-SH 514. World Applied Sci. J. 2009; 6(11):1495−1505.
- Cao L, Qui L, You J, Tan H, Zhou S. Isolation and Characterization of Endophytic Streptomyces Strain From Surface Sterilized Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) Roots. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 2004; 39(5):425−430.
- Elkahoui S, Djubali N, Karkouch J, Hadj Ibrahim A, Kalai L, Bachkovel S, Tabbene O, Limam F. Mass Spectrometry Identification of Antifungal Lipopeptides From Bacillus sp. BCLRB 2 Againts Rhizoctonia solani and Sclerotinia sclerotiorum. Prikl. Biokhim. Mikrobiol. 2014; 50(2):184−188.
- Kuzikova IL, Suharevich VI, Shenin ID, Medvedeva NG. [Biological properties and identification of polyene antifungal antibiotic, promising for protection against mycorrhages]. News of RAS. Ser. Biol. 2010; 2:238−247. Russian.
- Sacramento DR, Coelho RRR, Wigg MD, Toledo LF, dos Santos MGM. Antimicrobial and Antiviral Activities of an Actinomycete (Streotomyces sp.) Isolated From a Brazilian Tropical Forest Soil. World J. Microbiol. Biotechnology. 2004; 20(3):225−229.
- Bouizgarne B, El Hadrami I, Ouhdouh Y. Novel Production of Isochainin by a Strain of Streptomyces sp. Isolated From Rhizosphere Soil of the Indigenous Moroccan Plant Argania spinosa L. World J. Microbiol. Biotechnology. 2006; 22(5):423−429.
- Jeffrey LSH. Isolation, Characterization and Identification of Actinomycetes From Agriculture Soil at Semongok, Sarawak. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2008; 7(20):3697−3702.
- Koch E, Loffen I. Psartial Characterization of the Antimicrobial Activity of Streptomyces antimycoticus FZB 53. J. Phytopathology. 2007; 157(4):235−242.
- Kuzin AI, Kuznetsova NI, Nikolaienko MA, Azizbakean RR. [Strain Bacillus amylolyquefaciens 16-K 11, which has a fungicidal activity against the causative agents of fusariosis of cereals]. Biotehnologia. 2013; 5:31−39. Russian.
- Li Q, Ning P, Zhang L, Huang J, Li G, Hsiang T. Effects of Volatile Substances of Streptomyces globisporus JK-1 on Control of Botrytis cinerea on Tomato Fruit. Biol. Control. 2012; 61(2):113−120.
- Liu Q, Yu J, Yan J, Qi X, Liu C. Antagonism and action mechanism of antifungal metabolites from Streptomyces rimosus MYO 2. J. Phytopathology 2009; 157(5):306−310.
- Tran DQ. [Noing nghiep cong nghiep thue pham]. Agr. and Food ind. 1996; 5:179−182. Vietnamese.
- Wang C, Wang Z, Qiao X, Li Z, Li F, Chen M, Wang Y, Huang Y, Cui H. Antifungal Activity of Volatile Organic Compounds From Streptomyces alboflavus ID-1. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2013; 341(1):45−51.
- Zhao S, Du CM, Tian CY. Suppresion of Fusarium oxysporum and Induced Resistance of Plants Involved in the Biocontrol of Cucumber Fusarium Wilt by Streptomyces bikiniensis HD-087. World J. Microbiol. Biotechnology. 2012; 28(9):2919−2927.
- Buzyak A, Vanko I, Gromiko O, Fedorenko V. Fungizidni vlastivosti gruntovih aktinimizetiv, vidilenih s pivdennogo shilu g. Kishka na Krimskomu pivostrovi. In: Proceding of the VI International young Scientists conference "Biodiversity. Ecology. Adaption. Evolution."; 2013, May 13-17; Odessa, 2013. p. 262−263. Ukrainian.
- Liu Q, Wu YH, Lu JC. Screening of Antagonistic Actinomycetes From Greenhouse Soil in Northeast China. Soils. 2004; 36(5):573−575.
- Boukaew S, Plubrukam A, Prasertsan P. Effect of Volatile Substances From Streptomyces philanthi RM-1-138 on Growth of Rhizoctonia solani on Rice Leaf. Journal of the International Organization for Biological Control. 2013; 58(4):471−482.
- Reruanul MI, Yong TJ, Jeon JR, Chi HS, Jong SL. Isolation, Identification and Optimal Culture Conditions of Streptomyces albidoflavus C 247 Producing Antifungal Agents Against Rhizoctonia solani AG 2-2. Mycobiology. 2009; 37(2):114−120.
- Seung HJ, Harayan CP, Jian XD, Young SK, Bong-Sik Y, Seung HY. Biocontrol Activity of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens CNU 114001 Against Fungal Plant Diseases. Mycobiology. 2013; 41(4):234−242.
- Lukiantsev MA. [Peculiarities of biological activity of endophytic strains of Bacillus subtilis Cohn with different antagonism to phytopathogenic fungi]. PhD Abstractthesis: Saratov; 2010. Russian.