Mikrobiol. Z. 2018; 80(6):3-14. Ukrainian.
Influence of Metal Ions and Specific Chemical Reagents on
the α-L-Rhamnosidase Activity of Penicillium tardum
Gudzenko O.V., Borzova N.V., Varbanets L.D.
Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
The aim. Study the influence of metal ions, anions and specific chemical reagents on the activity of α-L-rhamnosidase Penicillium tardum. Methods. α-L-Ramnosidase activity was determined by the rate of hydrolysis of n-nitrophenyl α-L-rhamnopyranoside. To inhibit α-L-rhamnosidase, metal ions were used as sulfates, only Ag+ as nitrate, anions as potassium or sodium salts, and the following specific chemical reagents: β-mercaptoethanol, p-chloromercuribenzoate, N-ethylmaleimide, 1-[3-(dimethylamino) propyl]-3-ethylcarbodiimide methiodide. All substances were investigated in concentration of 10-3 M. Results. Significant influence on the activity of the P. tardum α-L-rhamnosidase was obtained by Ag+ and Cd2+ ions, which completely inhibited the enzyme, whereas Ca2+ increased the activity of the studied P. tardum α-L-rhamnosidase by 60 %. When studying the action of various anions, it was found that sulfite inhibits its activity by 73 %. It is also shown that the anions AsO3-2 and CO3-2, which activate the P. tardum α-L-rhamnosidase by 100 % and 75 %, respectively, have a significant effect. Conclusions. In the catalysis, which is carried out by the P. tardum α-L-rhamnosidase, the groups соntaining the metal atoms do not participate, but the presence of Ag+ and Cd2+ ions in the system inhibits the rate of the enzyme reaction. Whereas Ca2+ ions increase the activity of the studied α-L-rhamnosidase P. tardum by 60 %. Since 1-[3-(dimethylamino) propyl]-3-ethylcarbodimide methiodide inhibits the activity of α-L-rhamnosidase by 50 - 73 %, it can be assumed that the functionally active carboxyl groups are present in the α-L-rhamnosidase molecule.
Keywords: α-L-rhamnosidase, Penicillium tardum, metal ions, specific chemical reagents.
Full text (PDF, in Ukrainian)
- Gudzenko O.V., Varbanets L.D., Kurchenko I.M., Naconechnaya L.T. [Screening of the producents α-L-rhamnosidases amongst representatives of Penicillium]. Microbiol Z. 2016; 78(2):33-42. Ukrainian.
- Gudzenko O.V., Varbanets L.D. [Optimization of cultivation conditions of Penicillium tardum – α-L-rhamnosidase producer]. Microbiol Z. 2015; 77(4):26-31. Ukrainian.
- Gudzenko O.V., Varbanets L.D. [Purification and physic-chemical propertirs of Penicillium tardum α-L-rhamnosidase producer]. Microbiol Z. 2016; 78(1):13-22. Ukrainian.
- Romero C., Manjon A., Bastida J. A method for assaying rhamnosidase activity of naringinase. Analytical Biochemistry. 1985; 149(2):566–571. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(85)90614-1
- Lowry O.H., Rosebrough N.J., Farr A.L., Randall R. J. Protein measurement with folinphenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 1951; 193(2):265-275.
- Lakyn H. F. Byometryia . Moscow: Vysshaya Shkola; 1990. Russian.
- Gudzenko O. V., Borzova N.V., Varbanets L.D. [Influence of metal ions and specific chemical reagents on the α-L-rhamnosidase activity of Eupenicillium erubescens]. Ukr Biochem J. 2012; 84(2):30-41.
- Varbanets L.D., Borzova N.V. [Glycosidases of microorganisms and research methods]. Kyiv: Nauk. Dumka; 2010. Ukrainian.
- Manzanares P., Valles S., Ramon D., Orejas M. α-L-rhamnosidase: old and new insights. Industrial Enzymes: Springer; 2007. p. 117-140.
- Dowzer M., Kelly J.M. Cloning of creA gene from Aspergillus nidulans: a gene involved in carbon catabolite repression. Curr. Genet. 1989; 15(6):457-459.
- Puri M. Updates on naringinase: structural and biotechnological aspects. Appl. Microb. Biotechnol. 2012; 93(1):49–60.
- Yadav V., Yadav P. K., Yadav S., Yadav K. D. S. α-L-Rhamnosidase: A review. Process Biochemistry. 2010; 45(8):1226–1235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2010.05.025
- Yadav V., Yadav K.D.S. New fungal for α-L-rhamnosidase an important enzyme used in the synthesis of drugs and drug precursors. Appl. Biochemistry Microbiol. 2010; 48(3):295–301. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0003683812030155
- Gudzenko O.V., Varbanets L.D. [Microbial α-L-rhamnosidasesproducers, properties, practical use]. Biotechnologia Acta. 2012; 5(6):9-26. Ukrainian.
- Hashimoto W., Miyake O., Nanka H.I, Murata K. Molecular identification of an α-L-rhamnosidase from Bacillus sp. strain GL1 as an enzyme involved in complete metabolism of gellan. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2003; 415(2):235-244.
- Gudzenko O.V., Varbanets L.D. [Investigation of functional groups α-L-rhamnosidase Cryptococcus albidus]. Microbiol Z. 2012; 74(4):19-28. Ukrainian.
- Dixon M., Webb L. [Enzyme, v.1]. Moscow: Mir; 1982. Russian.