Mikrobiol. Z. 2018; 80(4):96-107. Ukrainian.
Bean Common Mosaic in the Kiev Region: Etiology of Disease and Pathogen Identification
Kyrychenko A.N., Kovalenko A.G.
Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
The paper presents the results of field studies of bean cultures and bean breeding lines with a view to assessing the extent of plant damage by legume viruses. It is established hrough this study the prevalence of the viral disease in the cultivation area of different bean varieties and the study unveiled that diseased plants were infected by Bean common mosaic potyvirus (BCMV). The аim of the research was to conduct field observations evaluating the prevalence of Phaseolus vulgaris L. viral infections in the Kiev region. We also had to detect and identify the disease-causing pathogen, investigate the host plant range and a reaction of selected indicator plants to mechanical inoculation with the solate of BCMV. Methods. Field crop observation, visual diagnosis, biological testing of he virus, immunoassay (ELISA), polymerase chain reaction with reverse transcription (RT-PCR). Results. The Phaseolus vulgaris L. plants showing clear viral infection symptoms in examined growing locations were found and the presence of BCMV in the selected samples was established by the ELISA and RT-PCR. Conclusions. By the reaction and type of symptom of selected indicator plants to mechanical inoculation with the virus, the causal agent is thought to be necrotic isolates of BCMV. It is suggested that the investigated isolate may belong to А serotype of BCMV – bean common necrotic mosaic virus (BCNMV).
Keywords: bean common mosaic virus (BCMV), bean common necrotic mosaic virus (BCNMV), polymerase chain reaction with reverse transcription (RT-PCR), indicator plants, bean varieties.
Full text (PDF, in Ukrainian)
- Antipov I, Hrynchuk K, Duplyak O. [Development PCR systems for identification of mosaic virus ordinary beans (Bean common mosaic virus)]. Scientific herald of NULES of Ukraine. Series: biology, biotechnology, ecology. 2016; 234:40-46. Ukrainian.
- Antipov I, Hrynchuk K, Sidorenko O.P. [PCR diagnosis and identification of the Bean yellow mosaic virus]. Proceedings of V All-Ukrainian scientific conference of young scientists and students. 2014; 22-23. Ukrainian.
- Berger P, Wyatt S, Shiel P, Silbernagel M, Druffel K, Mink GI. Phylogenetic analysis of the Potyviridae with emphasis on legume-infecting potyviruses. Arch Virol. 1997; 142:1979-1999. https://doi.org/10.1007/s007050050216
- Bos L, Gibbs AJ. Bean common mosaic potyvirus. Plant viruses online – descriptions and lists from the VIDE Database. 1995.
- Dospekhov B.A. [The technique of field experience (with the basics of statistical analysis of research results)]. A textbook. 6 th ed. 2011. Russian.
- Drijfhout E, Silbernagel MJ, Burke DW. Differentiation of strains of Bean common mosaic virus. Netherlands J Plant Path. 1978; 84:13-26. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01978099
- Jordan R, Hammond J. Bean common mosaic virus and bean common mosaic necrosis virus. Encyclopedia Virol. 2008; 200:288-295. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-012374410-4.00559-8
- Larsen R, Miklas PP, Druffel K. Evidence of a genomic recombination event between a strain of bean common mosaic virus and bean common mosaic necrosis virus. American Society for Virology Meeting; 2004 July 10-14; Montreal: Canada. p. 40-51.
- McKern NM, Mink GI, Barnett OW, Mishra A, Whittaker LA, Silbernagel MJ. et al. Isolates of bean common mosaic virus comprising two distinct potyviruses. Phytopathology. 1992; 82:923-929. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-82-923
- Morales FJ, Bos L. Descriptions of plant viruses: Bean common mosaic virus. DPV337. Wellesbourne UK: Association of Applied Biologists; 1988.
- Prasad HP, Uday A, Shankar C, Bhuvanendra H, Kumar SH, Prakash HS. Management of Bean common mosaic virus strain blackeye cowpea mosaic (BCMV-BICM) in cowpea using plant extracts. Arch Phytopathology Plant Protect. 2007; 40(2):139-147. https://doi.org/10.1080/03235400500356111
- Schwartz HF, Galvez GE. Bean production problems. Disease, insects, soil and climactic constraints of phaseolus vulgaris. Centro Internacional de Agricultura Tropical (CIAT), Cali, CO, 1980.
- Shahraeen N, Ghotbi T. A survey of viruses affecting French bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) in Iran includes a first report of Southern bean mosaic virus and Bean pod mottle virus. Plant Disease. 2005; 89:1012. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-89-1012B
- Vetten H, Lesemann DE, Maiss E. Serotype A and B strains of bean common mosaic virus are two distinct potyviruses. Arch Virol. 1992; 5:415-431. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-7091-6920-9_44
- Worrall EA, Wamonje FO, Mukeshimana G, Harvey JJ, Carr JP, Mitter N. Bean common mosaic virus and bean common mosaic necrosis virus: relationships, biology, and prospects for control. Adv Virus Res. 2015; 93:1-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.aivir.2015.04.002
- Zaumeyer WJ, Goth RW. A new severe symptom-inducing strain of common bean mosaic virus. Phytopathology. 1964; 54:1378-1385.
- Zaumeyer WJ, Thomas HR. A monographic study of bean diseases and methods for their control. Technical Bulletin No. 868, United States Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C., USA. 1957.