Mikrobiol. Z. 2018; 80(3):90-102. Ukrainian.
The Entomopathogenic Bacteria Bacillus thuringiensis – Regulator of
Chickpea Leaf Miner (Liriomyza cicerina Rd.) in the Biocenoses
Lisovyy M.1, Taran O.1, Demyanyuk O.2
1National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine
13 Heroyiv Oborony Str., Kyiv, 03041, Ukraine
2Institute of Agroecology and Enviromental Management, NAS of Ukraine
12 Metrologichna Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Objective. To determine the pathogenicity of a new strain of bacteria Bacillus thuringiensis 0376 and to compare its properties with known strains of В. thuringiensis var. kurstaki 0293 and В. thuringiensis var. thuringiensis 994 for the biological control of chickpea miners population. Methods. Field surveys, collection, analysis and storage of samples of natural populations of insects have been carried out using generally accepted entomological, ecological and microbiological methods. Screening of entomopathogenic strains has been carried out using original methods in places of mass reproduction and inhabitation of insects, where outbreaks of spontaneous epizootics were possible. Microbiological analyzes (production of pure cultures, preparation of successive dilutions of microbial suspensions, cultivation on liquid and nutrient agar media, etc.) have been carried out using conventional methods. Results. Bacterial strain 0376, which has been isolated from the corpses of grain moth imago, due to spore and crystal formation features belongs to the Bacillus thuringiensis group. On the 10th day of the experiment, the death rate of the Colorado beetle (Leptinotarsa decemlineata Say.) larvae was 100 % while using the bacteria of В. thuringiensis 0376 strain (with the death rate in control samples – 2.3 %). Effectiveness of obtained liquid spore culture on the Colorado potato beetle larvae has been verified. The effect of microorganismal bacterization of different functional actions of seeds and vegetative mass on the yield of different types of chickpea has been studied. It was determined that the chickpea plants treatment with В. thuringiensis 0376 strain bacteria aided to reduce contamination rates by phytophages Liriomyza cicerina Rd. by 44.4 - 71.2 % and to increase the yield of varieties on average by 0.9 - 6.2 q/ha, in comparison to the control. Conclusions. The insecticidal potency of В. thuringiensis strain 0376 has been shown in the number of mines per chickpea plant 111.6 - 152.4, depending on the variety, whereas in the control variant these numbers were 202.0 - 342.0 mines per plant. Studies have shown that a new strain of В. thuringiensis 0376 demonstrates significant biological effciency of chickpea miners (Liriomyza cicerina Rd.) population control.
Keywords: Bacillus thuringiensis, entomotoxic action, strain, preparation form, phytophage, chickpea.
Full text (PDF, in Ukrainian)
- Burtseva LI. [Methods of isolation and biotesting of entomopathogenic bacteria. Insect Pathogens: Structural and Functional Aspects], Ed. VV Stupid. Moscow: all year round; 2001. Russian.
- Vyhera SM. [Environmental control of cultural phytocoenoses] Kyiv: CP Komprint; 2015. Ukrainian.
- Hlupov VV. [Insect Pathogens: Structural and Functional Aspects]. Moscow: all year round; 2001. Russian.
- Gorbachev IV, Grishchenko VV, Zakhvatkin YUA. [Protection of plants from pests]. Ed. VV Isachev. Moscow: Kolos; 2002. Russian.
- [Plant protection guide]. Ed. M.P. Lisovyy. C.: Harvest; 1999. Ukrainian.
- Dyatlova KD. [Microbial preparations in plant growing] Sorovsky educational Z. 2001; 14:17-22. Russian.
- Kandybin NV, Patyka TI, Yermolova VP, Patyka VF. [Microbiocontrol of the number of insects and its dominant Bacillus thuringiensis]. Ed. NV Kandybin. St. Petersburg–Pushkin: Innovative Center for Plant Protection; 2009. Russian.
- Leskova AYa. [Methodological guidelines for the identification of B. thuringiensis cultures and estimates of their pathogenic properties]. Leningrad; 1984. Russian.
- Lisovyy MM. [Entomological diversity and its ecological and economic signifcance]. Agroecol Z. 2007; 4:18-24. Ukrainian.
- Patyka TI, Patyka VF. [Theoretical foundations for the effective use of Bacillus thuringiensis for phytoprotection against insect pests]. In: Patyka VF, editor. Zb. sciences. ave. Umansky state agrarian university; 2008. p. 258-262. Ukrainian.
- Patyka TI, Patyka VF. [Ecology of Bacillus thuringiensis]. Kyiv: Publishing house of the PDAA; 2007. Ukrainian.
- Zeddam JL, Vasquez Soberon RM, Vargas Ramos Z, Lagnaoui A. [Producciyn viral y tasas de aplicaciyn del granulovirus usado para el control biolygico de las polillas de la papa Phthorimaea operculella (Tecia solanivora) (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae)] Bol. Sanidad Vegetal Plagas. 2003; 29:659-667. Italian.