Mikrobiol. Z. 2018; 80(1):36-44. Ukrainian.
Determination of Antagonistic and Adhesive Properties of Lactobacterium and Bifidobacterium
Gujvinska S.O., Paliy A.P.
Institute of Experimental and Clinical Veterinary Medicine, NAAS of Ukraine
83 Pushkinskaya Str., Kharkiv, 61023, Ukraine
Aim. To study antagonistic and adhesive properties of new strains lactobacterium and bifidobacterium and select promising microorganisms for the production of probiotic for animals and birds. Methods. The objects of study were 8 strains of microorganisms of l lactobacterium and 7 strains of microorganisms of bifdobacterium which are stored in National Scientific Center «Institute of experimental and clinical veterinary medicine». Antagonistic activity of lactobacilli and bifdobacteria was determined by the method of delayed antagonism. The activity of acid formation was investigated in skimmed milk after 72 hours of cultivation. Results. Of the 15 strains examined, strains Lactbacillus plantarum 7, L. plantarum 22, L. casei 27, L. plantarum 7-317, Bifidobacterium adolescentis 17-316 and B. adolescentis 3, which exhibited the highest antagonistic activity in relation to opportunistic microorganisms: Escherichia coli K 99, Staphylococcus epidermidis M, S. aureus 209, Salmonella dublin 12, Pseudomonas aeruginosa 34/2. Adhesive properties of microorganisms were determined in vitro using sheep erythrocytes. Adhesive properties of microorganisms were determined in vitro using sheep erythrocytes. Conclusions. As a result of sequential selection, the strains L. plantarum 7, L. casei 27, L. plantarum 7-317, B. adolescentis 17 and B. adolescentis 17-316, strains were selected according to the antagonistic and adhesive properties, which are promising for the development on their basis of the domestic probiotic for animals and poultry.
Keywords: antagonistic activity, adhesive properties, lactobacterium, bifidobacterium, probiotics.
Full text (PDF, in Ukrainian)
- Kovalenko NK, Livinska OP, Poltavska OA, Garmasheva IL, Shinkarenko LM, Oleshchenko LT. [Probiotic Properties of Industrial Strains of Lactobacilli and Bifdobacteria]. Mikrobiol. Z. 2010; 72(1):10-17. Ukrainian.
- Kvasnikov EP, Nesterenko OA. [Lactic Acid Bacteria and Ways of Their Use]. Moscow: Nauka; 1975. Russian.
- Poltavska OA, Kovalenko NK. [Antagonistic properties of bifdobacteria isolated from diferent natural sources]. Mikrobiol. Z. 2005;67(6):32-39. Ukrainian.
- Potemska OI. [Antagonistic activity as a criterion for the selection of bifdobacteria and lactic cultures]. Food and processing industry. 2000; 1:17-19. Russian.
- Jankowski DS. [Microbial ecology of the person: modern possibilities of its maintenance and restoration]. Expert LTD. 2005. Ukrainian.
- Jamalifar H, Rahimi H, Samadi N, Shahverdi A, Sharifan Z, Hosseini F, Eslahi H, Fazeli M. Antimicrobial activity of different Lactobacillus species against multi-drug resistant clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Iran. J. Microbiol. 2011; 3(1):21-25.
- Saranya S, Hemashenpagam N. Antagonistic activity and antibiotic sensitivity of Lactic acid bacteria from fermented dairy products. Adv. Appl. Sci. Res. 2011; 2(4):528-534.
- Woodmansey EJ. Intestinal bacteria and ageing. J. Applied Microbiology. 2007; 102:1178-1186. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2007.03400.x
- Stegniy BT, Guzhvinskaya SA. [Application of probiotics in animal husbandry Veterinary] Medicine of Ukraine. 2005;5:39-41. Ukrainian.
- Yegorov NS. [Fundamentals of the doctrine of antibiotics] Moscow: Vysshaya shkola; 1986. Russian.
- Brilis VK, Brilene TA, Lentsner AA. [Method for studying the adhesive process of microorganisms]. Laboratory work. 1996;4:210-212. Russian.
- Bannikova L.O. [Selection of lactic acid bacteria and their use in the dairy industry ]. Moscow: Food industry, 1975. Russian.
- Labinskaya AS. [Microbiology with the technique of microbiological research] Moscow: Medicine; 1978. Russian.
- Garmasheva IL, Kovalenko NK. [Adhesive properties of lactic acid bacteria and methods for their study]. Mikrobiol. Z. 2005;67(4):68-84. Ukrainian.
- Lyaskovskiy TM, Pidgorskiy VS, Kovalenko NK, Garmasheva IL, Muchnik FV. [Identifcation of probiotic strains of lactic acid bacteria] Mikrobiol. Z. 2008; 70(6): 3-10. Ukrainian.