Mikrobiol. Z. 2018; 80(1):3-14. Ukrainian.
Resistance to Antibiotics, Decarboxylase and Haemolytic Activities
of Enterococci Isolated from Traditional Dairy Products
Garmasheva I.L., Kovalenko N.K., Oleschenko L.T.
Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Aims. Determination of the species composiotion, resisnatce to antibiotics, decarboxylase and haemolytic activities of enterococci, isolated from traditional dairy products. Methods. For species-level identifcation the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) was used, disk difusion method was used to determine antibiotic resistance, decarboxylase activity was determined on media with amino acids, haemolytic activity was determined during growth of enterococci strains on blood agar. Results. Among investigated enterococci strains of species Enterococcus faecalis consists 67.8 %, E. durans – 18.8 %, E. faecium – 6.4 %, E. hirae – 0.2 %, Enterococcus spp. – 6.7 %. More than 60 % of enterococci were resistant to erythromycin, norfoxacin, ciprofoxacin and rifampicin. Among investigated in the work strains, 56.76 % were resistant to 5 - 11 antibiotics from 17 used in the study. Resistance to vancomycin and gentamycin was found only in E. faecalis strains. Tyramine production was detected in 95.4 % strains, β-haemolytic activity was found in 20 % strains. The less count of antibiotic resistant strains and tyramine producers was found among strains of E. durans, and β-haemolytic − among strains of E. faecalis. Conclusion. Artisanal dairy products may act as a reservoir of virulent, potentially dangerous for human´s health multiresistant strains of enterococci.
Keywords: enterococci, resistance to antibiotics, biogenic amines, dairy products.
Full text (PDF, in Ukrainian)
- Girafa G. Functionality of enterococci in dairy products. Int. J. Food. Microbiol. 2003;88(2-3):215–222. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(03)00183-1
- Linares DM, Martín MC, Ladero V, Alvarez MA, Fernández M. Biogenic amines in dairy products. Crit. Rev. Food. Sci. Nutr. 2011;51(7):691–703. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2011.582813
- Oggier JC, Serror P. Safety assessment of dairy microorganisms. The Enterococcus genus. Int. J. Food. Microbiol. 2008;126(3):291–301. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2007.08.017
- Eaton TJ, Gasson MJ. Molecular screening of Enterococcus virulence determinants and potential for genetic exchange between food and medical isolates. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 2001;67(4):1628–1635. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.67.4.1628-1635.2001
- Teuber M. Veterinary use and antibiotic resistance. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2001;4(5):493–499. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1369-5274(00)00241-1
- Belicova A, Krizkova L, Krajcovic J, Jurkovic D, Sojka M, Ebringer L, Dusinsky R. Antimicrobial susceptibility of Enterococcus species isolated from slovak bryndza cheese. Folia Microbiol. (Praha). 2007;52(2):115-119. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02932149
- Citak S, Yucel N, Orhan S. Antibiotic resistance and incidence of Enterococcus species in Turkish white cheese. Int. J. Dairy Technol. 2004;57(1):27–31. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0307.2004.00122.x
- Gomes BC, Esteves CT, Palazzo ICV, Darini ALC, Felis GE, Sechi LA, Franco BDGM, De Martinis EP. Prevalence and characterization of Enterococcus spp. isolated from Brazilian foods. Food Microbiol. 2008;25(5):668–675. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2008.03.008
- Harada T, Mito Y, Otsuki K, Murase T. Resistance to gentamicin and vancomycin in enterococcal strains isolated from retail broiler chickens in Japan. J. Food Prot. 2004;67(10):2292–2295. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-67.10.2292
- Garmasheva I. Isolation and characterization of lactic acid bacteria from Ukrainian traditional dairy products. AIMS Microbiol. 2016;2(3):372-387. https://doi.org/10.3934/microbiol.2016.3.372
- Harmasheva IL, Kovalenko NK, Zelena LB. [Identifcation of Enterococcus strains]. Microbiol. Z. 2009;71(2):3-12. Ukrainian.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing, twenty frst informational supplement. Wayne, Pa.: Clinical and Laboratory Standards Inst. 2011;31(1):M100-S21.
- [Methodological instructions «Determination of sensitivity of microorganisms to antibacterial preparations». Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine # 167 from 05.04.2007 year]. Ukrainian.
- Bover-Cid S, Holzapfel WH. Improved screening procedure for biogenic amine production by lactic acid bacteria. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 1999;53(1):33–41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(99)00152-X
- Gelsomino R, Vancanneyt M, Cogan TM, Condon S, Swings J. Source of enterococci in a farmhouse raw-milk cheese. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 2002;68(7):3560–3565. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.68.7.3560-3565.2002
- Ladero V, Fernández M, Alvarez MA. Isolation and identifcation of tyramine-producing enterococci from human fecal samples. Can. J. Microbiol. 2009;55(2):215–218. https://doi.org/10.1139/W08-133
- Peel T, Cheng AC, Spelman T, Huysmans M, Spelman D. Difering risk factors for vancomycin-resistant and vancomycin-sensitive enterococcal bacteraemia. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. 2011;18(4):388-394. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-0691.2011.03591.x
- Morandi S, Brasca M, Andrighetto C, Lombardi A and Lodi R. Technological and molecular characterization of enterococci isolated from north-west Italian dairy products. Int. Dairy J. 2006;16(8):867–875. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2005.09.005
- Sanchez Valenzuela A, Ben Omar N, Abriouel H, Lucas Lopez R, Veljovic K, Martinez Canamero M, Ljubisa Topisirovic MK and Galvez A. Virulence factors, antibiotic resistance, and bacteriocins in enterococci from artisan foods of animal origin. Food Control. 2009;20(4):381-385. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2008.06.004
- Hummel AS, Holzapfel WH and Franz CMAP. Characterization and transfer of antibiotic resistance genes from enterococci isolated from food. Syst Appl Microbiol. 2007;30(1):1–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.syapm.2006.02.004
- Huys G, D'Haene K, Collard JM, Swings J. Prevalence and molecular characterisation of tetracycline resistance in Enterococcus isolates from food. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 2004;70(3):1555–1562. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.70.3.1555-1562.2004
- Aarestrup FM, Hasman H, Jensen LB, Moreno M, Herrero IA, Domínguez L, Finn M, Franklin A. Antimicrobial resistance among enterococci from pigs in three European countries. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 2002;68(8):4127–4129. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.68.8.4127-4129.2002