Mikrobiol. Z. 2017; 79(6):105-119.
Effects of Oral and Vaginal Administration of Probiotic Bacteria on the Vaginal Microbiota and
Cytokines Production in the Case of Experimental Staphylococcosis in Mice
Lazarenko L.M.1, Babenko L.P.1, Mokrozub V.V.1, Demchenko O.M.2, Bila V.V.2, Spivak M.Ya.1,3
1Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
9 Predslavinskaya Str., Kyiv, 03150, Ukraine
35 Svitlyskoho Str., Kyiv, 04123, Ukraine
Оbjective. The objective of this study was to elucidate the efects of the probiotic strain Lactobacillus casei ІМV В-7280 and L. casei IMV B-7280 - Bifdobacterium animalis VKL - B. animalis VKB (Lc - VKL - VKB) or B. animalis VKL - B. animalis VKB (VKL - VKB) strain compositions that administrated both orally and vaginally or only orally, on the vaginal microbiota and cytokines production in experimental vaginal staphylococcosis in BALB/c mice. Methods. Probiotic bacteria administrated into staphylococcus-infected mice vaginally and orally simulntaneously or only orally. Material from the vagina was plated on selective media; the number of colony forming units was counted. The concentration of cytokines in the blood serum of mice was determined by enzyme immunoassay method. Results. It was found, that the number of aerobic and facultative anaerobic microorganisms in the vagina of staphylococcus-infected mice was decreased after administration of these probiotic bacteria or its compositions both into vagina and orally or only orally. The increase in the number of lactic acid bacteria (LAB) and bifdobacteria in the vagina of these mice was also observed. However, the number of coliform bacteria and microscopic fungi was smaller and the number of LAB was greater after administration of L. casei IMV B-7280 or Lc - VKL - VKB and VKL - VKB compositions into staphylococcus-infected mice vaginally and orally simultaneously, compared to only oral administration. A change of the vaginal microbiota of staphylococcus-infected mice that received these probiotic bacteria was accompanied with higher level of interferon-γ and interleukine-12 production, which favors the development of Th1 immune response and decrease of the production of pro-infammatory cytokine tumor necrosis factor-α. The immunomodulatory efectiveness of L. casei IMV B-7280 and Lc - VKL - VKB composition will also be higher if they are administered into staphylococcus-infected mice both orally and vaginally than only orally. Conclusions. Probiotic strain L. casei IMV B-7280 and Lc - VKL - VKB or VKL - VKB strain compositions can be a good candidate for the creation of immunobiotics for treatment of urogenital infections.
Key words: lactic acid bacteria, bifdobacteria, microbiota, vagina, staphylococci, cytokines, mice.
Full text (PDF, in English)
- Hanson L, VandeVusse L, Jermé M, Abad CL, Safdar N. Probiotics for Treatment and Prevention of Urogenital Infections in Women: A Systematic Review. J Midwifery Womens Health. 2016;61(3):339-55. https://doi.org/10.1111/jmwh.12472
- Bron PA, Kleerebezem M, Brummer RJ, Cani PD, Mercenier A, MacDonald TT, et al. Can probiotics modulate human disease by impacting intestinal barrier function? Br J Nutr. 2017;117(1):93-107. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114516004037
- Sebastián Domingo JJ. Review of the role of probiotics in gastrointestinal diseases in adults. Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017; S0210-5705(17):30003-1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gastre.2016.12.001
- Williamson CB, Burns CM, Gossard CM, Pizano JM, Dolan KE, Finley HJ, et al. Probiotics and Disease: A Comprehensive Summary-Part 3, Cardiometabolic Disease and Fatigue Syndromes. Integr Med (Encinitas). 2017;16(1):30-41.
- Reid G. The potential role of probiotics in pediatric urology. J Urol. 2002;168(4; 1):1512-1517. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(05)64507-7
- Homayouni A, Bastani P, Ziyadi S, Mohammad-Alizadeh-Charandabi S, Ghalibaf M, Mortazavian AM, et al. Effects of probiotics on the recurrence of bacterial vaginosis: a review. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2014;18(1):79-86. https://doi.org/10.1097/LGT.0b013e31829156ec
- Santos CM, Pires MC, Leão TL, Hernández ZP, Rodriguez ML, Martins AK, et al. Selection of Lactobacillus strains as potential probiotics for vaginitis treatment. Microbiology. 2016;162(7):1195-207. https://doi.org/10.1099/mic.0.000302
- Macklaim JM, Clemente JC, Knight R, Gloor GB, Reid G. Changes in vaginal microbiota following antimicrobial and probiotic therapy. Microb Ecol Health Dis. 2015;14(26):27799.
- Shida K, Nanno M, Nagata S. Flexible cytokine production by macrophages and T-cells in response to probiotic bacteria: a possible mechanism by which probiotics exert multifunctional immune regulatory activities. Gut Microbes. 2011;2(2):109–114. https://doi.org/10.4161/gmic.2.2.15661
- Haruki Kitazawa, Julio Villena, Susana Avarez, editors. Probiotics: immunobiotics and immunogenic. New York: CRC Press; 2014.
- House Robert V, Descotes Jacques, editors. Cytokines in Human Health. Immunotoxicology, Pathology, and Therapeutic Applications Immunotoxicology, Pathology, and Therapeutic Applications. New Jersey: Humana Press Inc; 2007.
- Lazarenko L, Babenko L, Shynkarenko-Sichel L, Pidgorskyi V, Mokrozub V, Voronkova O, et al. Antagonistic action of Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria in relation to Staphylococcus aureus and their influence on the immune response in cases of intravaginal staphylococcosis in mice. Probiotics & Antimicrob. Prot. 2012;4(2):78–89. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12602-012-9093-z
- Shirobokov VP, Jankowski DS, Dyment GS. [Microbial ecology of the human with color atlas]. Textbook. K. Ruta-tours, 2010. Russian.
- Strus M, Chmielarczyk A, Kochan P, Adamski P, Chełmicki Z, Chełmicki A, et al. Studies on the effects of probiotic Lactobacillus mixture given orally on vaginal and rectal colonization and on parameters of vaginal health in women with intermediate vaginal flora. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2012;163(2):210-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejogrb.2012.05.001
- Hutchins RG, Bailey CS, Jacob ME, Harris TL, Wood MW, Saker KE, et al. The effect of an oral probiotic containing lactobacillus, bifidobacterium, and bacillus species on the vaginal microbiota of spayed female dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2013;27(6):1368-1371. https://doi.org/10.1111/jvim.12174
- Balzaretti S, Taverniti V, Rondini G, Marcolegio G, Minuzzo M, Remagni MC, et al. The vaginal isolate Lactobacillus paracasei LPC-S01 (DSM 26760) is suitable for oral administration. Front Microbiol. 2015;15(6):952.
- Reid G, Bruce AW, Taylor M. Instillation of Lactobacillus and stimulation of indigenous organisms to prevent recurrence of urinary tract infections. Microecol Ther. 1995;23:3245.
- Reid G, Bruce AW, Fraser N, Heinemann C, Owen J, Henning B. Oral probiotics can resolve urogenital infections. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2001;30(1):49-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-695X.2001.tb01549.x
- Bruce AW, Reid G. Intravaginal instillation of lactobacilli for prevention of recurrent urinary tract infections. Can J Microbiol. 1988;34(3):339-343. https://doi.org/10.1139/m88-062
- Heczko PB, Tomusiak A, Adamski P, Jakimiuk AJ, Stefański G, Mikołajczyk-Cichońska A, et al. Supplementation of standard antibiotic therapy with oral probiotics for bacterial vaginosis and aerobic vaginitis: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. BMC Womens Health. 2015;3(15):115.
- Szajewska H, Kotowska M, Mrukowicz JZ, Armanska M, Mikolajczyk W. Efficacy of Lactobacillus GG in prevention of nosocomial diarrhea in infants. J Pediatr. 2001;138(3):361–365. https://doi.org/10.1067/mpd.2001.111321
- Cadieux P, Burton J, Gardiner G, Braunstein I, Bruce AW, Kang CY, et al. Lactobacillus strains and vaginal ecology. JAMA. 2002;287(15):1940–1941. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.287.15.1940
- Vitali B, Cruciani F, Baldassarre ME, Capursi T, Spisni E, et al. Dietary supplementation with probiotics during late pregnancy: outcome on vaginal microbiota and cytokine secretion. BMC Microbiol. 2012;18(12):236.
- Babenko LP, The effect of probiotic strains of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria on a range of microbiota and immunologic reactivity of the organism in cases of staphylococcal infection of the urogenital tract: thesis for obtaining PhD degree in biology: Kyiv, 2015. Ukrainian.