Mikrobiol. Z. 2017; 79(2):48-56. Ukrainian.
Radial Growth Rate of Microscopic Fungi Isolated from Plasterboard
Pysmenna Yu.B., Kurchenko I.M.
Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
The aim. Investigation the colonization rate of micromycetes isolated from plasterboard media with different content of gypsum board and its components. Methods. To determine the growth rate and the length of the lag phase were used Capek mineral media with the addition of powdered plasterboard (PBM) or components: cardboard (CBM) and core (CM) content of 0.5 %, 1 %, 2.5 %, 5 %, 10 %. Results. It was found that radial growth rate (Кr) of the studied cultures on media with the addition of gypsum board and its components was signifcantly higher than one on the control medium. The rate of growth of Chaetomium globosum and Trichoderma viride was the highest among the studied strains (0.272 and 0.25 mm/h, respectively), values for Neosartorya fsсheri, Aspergillus niger, Alternaria infectoria were slightly lower; and for Stachybotrys chartarum and Aspergillus favipes – half lower. The average radial growth rate unchanged for media with different core content, and the development on cardboard media accord to PBM. The duration of the lag phase of colonies of microscopic fungi was longer for 6 – 12 hours on CBM compared with PBM and CM for A. favipes, A. versicolor, C. cladosporioides and C. sphaerospermum. Conclusion. Thus, the composition of the medium infuences the growth rate of the studied micromycetes, especially content additions. Radial growth rate and maximum crop was not signifcantly differ on the media with the addition of 5 % and 10 % of plasterboard. It was established that all investigated factors affecting the growth rate of micromycetes, species of microscopic fungi and concentration of medium components have the greatest impact.
Key words: radial growth rate, the length of the lag phase, microscopic fungi, plasterboard.
Full text (PDF, in Ukrainian)
- Andersen B, Dosen I, Lewinska AM, Nielsen КF. Pre-contamination of new gypsum wallboard with potentially harmful fungal species. Indoor air. 2016:1-7.
- Andersen B, Nielsen KF, Jarvis BB. Characterization of Stachybotrys from waterdamaged buildings based on morphology, growth, and metabolite production. Mycologia. 2002; 94(3):392-403. https://doi.org/10.1080/15572536.2003.11833204
- Bilay VI, editor.[Methods of Experimental Mycology. Reference Guide]. Kiev: Nauk. Dumka; 1982. Russian.
- Borovikov VP. [For professionals. STATISTICA. Workmanship of analysis of data on computer]. SPb: PITER; 2003. Russian.
- Chuenko A.І. [Characteristics of linear growth of microscopic fungi isolated from rubber materials]. Mіkrobіol Z. 2011; 73(4):46-54. Ukranian.
- Domsch KH, Gams W, Anderson T-H. Compendium of soil fungi. Second ed. Eching: IHW-Verlag; 2007.
- Fogle MR, Douglas DR, Jumper CA, Straus DC. Growth and mycotoxin production by Chaetomium globosum. Mycopathologia. 2007; 164(1):49-56. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11046-007-9023-x
- Kurchenko IM, Yurieva EM, Voychuk SI. [Growth of micromycetes from different ecological niches on agar nutrient media]. Mіkrobіol Z. 2015; 77(5):37-46. Ukranian.
- Kurchenko IM, Vasilevskaya AI, Artyshkova LV, Nakonechnaya LT, Yurieva EM [Utilization of carbon sources by Fusarium poae (Peck) Wollenw. strains from different trophic groups]. Mіkrobіol Z. 2013; 75(1):54-68. Ukranian.
- Magan N, Lynch J M. Water Potential, Growth and Cellulolysis of Fungi Involved in Decomposition of Cereal Residues. Journal of’ General Microbiology. 1986; 132:1181-7. https://doi.org/10.1099/00221287-132-5-1181
- Miller JD, Rands TG, Jarvis BB. Stachybotrys chartarum: cause of human disease or media darling. Medical Mycology. 2003; 41:271-91. https://doi.org/10.1080/1369378031000137350
- Pavlova IE, Mameteva AA, Chilyna GA, Stepanova AA. [Fungal resistance some building materials. Comparative study. Problems of medical mycology]. 2011; 13(4):35-8. Russian.
- Pirt S.J. [Principeles of microbe and cell cultivation]. M: Myr; 1978. Russian.
- Pysmenna YB, Kurchenko IM, Subbota AG. [Antagonistic properties of microscopic fungi isolated from plasterboard]. Mіkrobіol Z. 2016; 78(5):99-105. Ukranian.
- Pysmenna YB, Subbota AG, Nakonechna LT. [The mycobiota in studying the resistance of plasterboard to microscopic fungi]. Mіkrobіol Z. 2015; 77(5):55-61. Russian.
- Pysmenna YB, Subbota AG, Nakonechna LT, Kurchenko IM. [The species composition of micromycetes isolated from plasterboard] Mіkrobіol Z. 2016; 78(1):54-62. Russian.
- Smith SL, Hill ST. Infuence of temperature and water activity on germination and growth of Aspergillus restrictus and A. versicolor. Transactions of the British Mycological Society. 1982; 79(3):558-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-1536(82)80058-2
- Tugay TI, Tugay AV, Zheltonozhskaya MV, Sadovnikov LV. [The effect of low doses on growth of Aspergillus versicolor and Paecilomyces lilacinus]. Mіkrobіol Z. 2013; 75(4):33-40. Russian.
- Vember VV. [Ecological and physiological characteristics of micromycetes from zone of radioactive contamination]. Abstract of dis. PhD. Kiev, 2000. Ukranian.
- Zhdanova NN, Vasylevskaya AI. [The melanin-containing fungi in extreme conditions]. Kiev: Nauk. Dumka; 1988. Russian.
- Zhdanova NN, Subbota AG, Harkevych ES, Zaharchenko VA, Nakonechna LT, Andrienko EV .[New building materials and problems of its fungal resistance]. Proc. of 2nd Int. Conf. “Biodestruction and biocorrosion in building”. Saransk, 2006:17-9. Russian.