Mikrobiol. Z. 2017; 79(1):9-21.
Bacilli Lectins and Their Targets
Pidgorskyi V.S., Kovalenko E.O., Sashchuk O.V., Getman K.I.
Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
It were revealed structural features of extracellular sialic acid-spesific lectin from saprophytic strain of Bacillus subtilis IMV B-7014 and shown this lectin constituted the complex of molecular forms (isoforms, isolectins) that obtained the working names BSL1, BSL2 and BSL3 with mM 50 kDa, 40kDa and 55 kDa respectively. They differed in physical, chemical and biological characteristics. It were investigated direct and indirect impact mechanisms of the lectin and their molecular forms. We explored the lectin showed the greatest affinity to sialic acid-containing glycoconjugates where terminal O-acetylated sialic acid associated with subterminal D-galactose via α2,3-, α2,6- or α2,8-links. Bacilli lectins completely blocked surface sialic acid-containing receptors of influenza, herpes, hepatitis C viruses and HIV and thus prevented not only their adsorption and reproduction, but also appearance and further development of viral infection. It were shown multidirectional action of the lectin isoforms on proliferation of mammalian cell cultures with different origins: normal cells (primary mouse fibroblasts), relatively normal cells (epithelioid cells, Chinese hamster ovary) and cancer cell line of HeLa. We identified an influence of gene functional condition of reparation system of bacilli cells on ability to lectin synthesis by bacteria. Using the model system RNA-polymerase of bacteriophage T7 it were established the isolectins had different effects on the yield of RNA-transcription product in vitro.
Key words: Bacillus subtilis, lectins, isolectins, isoforms, sialic acid, antivirus activity, reparation, transcription, recP.
Full text (PDF, in English)
- Brovarska O.S., Vasilyev V.M., Ostapchuk A.M., Kovalenko E.O., Sashchuk O.V. [Characteristics of extracellular lectin from saprophytic strain Bacillus subtilis IMV B-7014]. Microbiol Z. 2011; 73 (3): 33–38. Ukrainian.
- Buts L., Bouckaert J., De Genst E., Loris R., Oscarson S., Lahmann M., et al. The fimbrial adhesion F17-G of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli has an immunoglobulinlike lectin domain that binds N-acetyl-glucosamine. Mol. Microbiol. 2003; 49: 705–715. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2958.2003.03600.x
- Chen J.B., Liu N., Ji. J., Zhou H.J., Bian C.Y., Li F., Chen S.J., et al. A novel siakic acid-specific lectin from Phaseolus coccineus seeds with potent antineoplastic and antifungal activities. Phytomedicine. 2009; 16: 352–360. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2008.07.003
- Damodaran D., Jeyakani J., Chauhan A., Kumar N., Chandra N.R., Surolia A. Cancer lectin DB: a database of lectins relevant to cancer. Glycoconjugate J. 2008; 25: 191–198. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10719-007-9085-5
- Flory L.L. Differences in the H antigen on human buccal cells from secretor and nonsecretor individuals. Vox Sang. 1966; 11: 137–156. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1423-0410.1966.tb04217.x
- Gilboa-Garber N., Avichezer D., Garber N.C. Bacterial lectins: Properties, structure, effects, function and applications. In: Gabius H.J., Gabius S. (Eds.), Glycosciences: Status and Perspectives, Chapman and Hall. Weinheim, 1997: 369–398.
- Ito N., Imai S., Nagaike C., Morimura Y., Hatake K. Localization of binding sites of Ulex europaeus I, Helix pomatia I, Helix pomatia and Griffonia simplicifolia I-B4 lectins and analysis of their backbone structures by several glycosidasesand poly-Nacetyllactosamine-specific lectins in human breast carcinomas. Histochem Cell Biol. 1996; 106: 331–339.
- Karpova I.S., Kovalenko E.A., Koretskaya N.V., Getman E.I. [Extracellular lectins of saprophytyc bacteria Bacillus subtilis and its mutants] Biopolym Cell. 2004; 20: 290– 294. Russian.
- Karpova I.S., Kovalenko E.O., Sashchuk O.V., Getman K.I., Bilolipetska O.S. [Structural and functional polymorphism of Bacillus subtilis lectins]. XIII Congress of S.M. Vynogradsky CMU; 2013, Oct 1–6; Yalta, Ukraine. 2013; Abstracts: 386. Ukrainian.
- Khan A.S., Kniep B., Oelschlaeger T.A., Van Die I., Korhonen T., Hacker J. Receptor structure for F1C fimbriae of uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Infect Immun. 2000; 68: 3541–3547. https://doi.org/10.1128/IAI.68.6.3541-3547.2000
- Lakhtin V.M., Afanasiev S.S., Alyoshkin V.A., Nesvizhsky Y.V., Lakhtin M.V., Shubin V.V., et al. [Classification of lectins as universal regulator molecules of biological systems]. Announcer of Russian Academy of Medical Sciences. 2009; 3: 36–43. Russian.
- Lakhtin M., Lakhtin V., Alyoshkin A. Lectin and enzyme relationships in microbiology. Intern. J. of Moleсular and Clinical Microbiology. 2011; 1: 9–14.
- Lakhtin V.M., Lakhtin M.V., Pospelova V.V., Shenderov B.A. Lectins of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria. II. Probiotic lectins of lactobacilli and as possible signal molecules regulating inter- and intrapopulating relationships between bacteria and between bacteria and the host. Microbial Ecology in Health and Disease. 2007; 19: 153–157. https://doi.org/10.1080/08910600701538257
- Lescar J., Loris R., Mitchell E., Gautier C., Chazalet V., Cox. V., et al. Isolectins I-A abd I-B of Griffonia (Bandeiraea) simplicifolia. Crystal structure of metal-free GS I-B(4) and molecular basis for metal binding and monosaccharide specificity. J. Biol Chem. 2002; 277: 6608–6614. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M109867200
- Liu B., Cheng Y., Zhang B., Bian H.J., Bao J.K. Polygonatum cyrtonema lectin induces apoptosis and autophagy in human melanoma A375 cells through a mitochondriamediated ROS-p38-p53 pathway. Cancer Lett. 2009; 275: 54–60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2008.09.042
- Liu B., Zhang B., Min M.W., Bian H.J., Chen L.F., Liu Q., et al. Induction of apoptosis by Polygonatum odoratum lectin and its molecular mechanisms in murine fibroblastoma L929. Biochem Biophys Acta. 2009; 1790: 840–844. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagen.2009.04.020
- Matsumoto I., Osawa T. Purification and characterization of an anti-H(O)phytohemagglutinin of Ulex europaeus. Biochem Biophys Acta. 1969; 194: 180–189. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-2795(69)90193-7
- Mukhopadhyay B., Martins M.B., Karamanska R., Russell D.A., Field R.A. Bacterial detection using carbohydrate-functionalised CdS quantum dots: a model study exploiting E. coli recognition of mannosides. Tetrahedron Lett. 2009; 50: 886–889. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2008.12.029
- Muller W.E., Renneisen K., Kreuter M.H., Schroder H.C., Minkler I. The D-mannosespecific lectin from Gerardia savaglia blocks binding of human immunodeficiency virus type I to H9 cells and human lymphocytes in vitro. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1988; 1: 453–458.
- Murphy L.A., Goldstein I.J. Five alpha-D-galactopyranosyl-binding isolectins from Bandeiraea simplicigolia seeds. J Biol Chem. 1977; 252: 4739–4742.
- Podgorsky V.S., Kovalenko E.A., Karpova I.S., Sashchuk E.V., Getman E.I. [Extracellular lectins from saprophytic strains of bacteria of the genus Bacillus (review)] Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology. 2014; 50: 228–234. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0003683814030120
- Podgorsky V., Kovalenko E., Karpova I., Sashchuk E., Getman E. New extracellular Bacillus subtilis lectins with sialic acid specificity. J. Agricul. Sci. and Technology. 2014; 4: 541–546.
- Podgorsky V.S., Kovalenko E.A., Karpova I.S., Sashchuk E.V., Getman E.I. [Structural features and properties of extracellular lectin of strain Bacillus subtilis IMV B-7014]. Ukr Biochem Z. 2010; 82 (4): 1–10. Ukrainian.
- Podgorsky V.S., Kovalenko E.A., Karpova I.S., Sashchuk E.V., Getman E.I. [Structural features of extracellular lectin of strain Bacillus subtilis IMV B-7014]. Dopovidi NANU. 2010; 9: 143–149. Ukrainian.
- Podgorsky V.S., Kovalenko E.A., Karpova I.S., Sashchuk E.V., Getman E.I., Ruban T.O., et al. [Impact of lectin isoforms of Bacillus subtilis on viability of normal and malignant cells in vitro]. Microbiol Z. 2012; 74 (3): 3–9. Ukrainian.
- Podgorsky V.S., Kovalenko E.O., Karpova I.S., Sashchuk O.V. Bacillus subtilis soluble lectins. V Polish-Ukrainian Weigl Conference on Microbiology; 2013, May 23–25; Yuri Fedkovych National University. Ukraine, Chernivtsi: 2013; 50.
- Pidgorsky V.S., Kovalenko E.O., Rybalko S.L., Sharykina N.I., Bardov V.G., Getman K.I., et al. [The obtaining method of extracellular lectins from bacteria of genus Bacillus and medical preparation on its basis for treatment sick people that were infected by HIV]. 2006; UA Patent No. 77477. Ukrainian.
- Pidgorsky V.S., Kovalenko E.O., Rybalko S.L., Sharykina N.I., Getman K.I. [Medical preparation that contains bacterial lectin for treatment sick people that were infected by 1 and 2 types herpes viruses]. 2008; UA Patent No. 84928. Ukrainian.
- Pidgorsky V.S., Kovalenko E.O., Rybalko S.L., Sharykina N.I., Getman K.I. [Medical preparation that contains bacterial lectin for treatment sick people that were infected by influenza virus]. 2008; UA Patent No. 83578. Ukrainian.
- Pidgorsky V.S., Kovalenko E.O., Rybalko S.L., Sharykina N.I., Getman K.I. [Medical preparation that contains bacterial lectin for treatment sick people that were infected by hepatits C virus]. 2008; UA Patent No. 83305. Ukrainian.
- Podgorsky V.S., Kovalenko E.A., Simonenko I.A. [Bacterial lectins]. Kiev: Naukova Dumka; 1992. Russian.
- Podgorsky V.S., Furtat I.M., Nogina T.M., Kovalenko E.A., Sashchuk E.V., Getman E.I. [Properties of lectins and cell biopolymers of nonpatogenic Corynebacterium]. Biopolymers and cell. 2011; 27(1): 40–46. Russian. https://doi.org/10.7124/bc.000080
- Sharon N., Lis H. Lectins. New York: Springer; 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-6953-6
- Sharon N. Reflections: Lectins, carbohydrate-specific reagents and cell recognition molecules. J Biol Chem. 2007; 282: 2753–2764. https://doi.org/10.1074/JBC.X600004200
- Spohr U., Hindsgaul O., Lemieux R.U. Molecular recognition. II. The binding of the Lewis b and Y human blood group determinants by the lectin IV of Griffonia simplificifolia. Can. J. Chem. 1985; 63: 2644–2652. https://doi.org/10.1139/v85-439
- Swanson M.D., Winter H.C., Goldstein I.J., Markovitz D.M. A lectin isolated from bananas is potent inhibitor of HIV replication. J Biol Chem. 2010; 285: 8646–8655. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M109.034926
- Wu A.M., Wu J.H., Chen Y.Y., Song S.C., Kabat E.A. Further characterization of the combining sites of Bandeiraea (Griffonia) simplicifolia lectin-I, isolectin A(4). Glycobiology. 1999; 9: 1161–1170. https://doi.org/10.1093/glycob/9.11.1161