Mikrobiol. Z. 2016; 78(6):19-28.
The Spectrum of Weed Phytopathogens in Wheat Agrophytocenosis
Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Bacterial diseases, pests and weeds are the main factors that do not allow generating high yields of agricultural crops. The article presents the results of a study of agents of weed diseases. It was shown that the affected weeds in wheat agrophytocenosis present an ecological niche for phytopathogenic bacteria, belonging to the species Pseudomonas syringae, Pseudomonas viridiflava, Pseudomonas fluorescens, Pectobacterium carotovorum, Pantoea agglomerans, Xanthomonas translucens and Pseudomonas sp. In addition to these pathogens, phytopathogenic yeasts Rhodosporidium diobovatum and Rhodotorula sp. were isolated and identified. Most of the phytopathogens, isolated from weeds, are widely specialized and in experiment affect various species of weeds and cereals. Fatty acid composition of the total cellular lipids of these plant pathogens was identified and proved to be characteristic for each species of bacteria. P. syringae was determined as the main agent of bacterial diseases of weeds, its strains have a high degree of serological relationship to the agent of basal bacteriosis of cereals – P. syringae pv. atrofaciens and belong to the same serogroups. The results of RAPD-PCR analysis revealed that P. syringae strains isolated from weeds and disease agents of cereals present a genetically homogeneous group. The results obtained indicate that wheat and weeds are affected by the same agents of bacterial diseases.
Key words: phytopathogenic bacteria, agent, bacterial disease, weeds, fatty acids, serology.
Full text (PDF, in English)
- Baca S, Moore L. Variations in Pseudomonas syringae isolated from grass species occurring in woody plant nurseries in the Pacific Northwest. Plant Dis. 1987; 71(8): 724–726. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-71-0724
- Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology. Eds Boore DR, Castenholz RW, Editorin-chief Garrity GM. 2th ed. New York, Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer; 2005.
- Brian BL, Gardner EW. Preparation of bacterial fatty acid methyl esters for rapid characterization by gas-luquid chromatography. Appl Microbiol. 1967; 15(6): 1499–1500.
- Diahnostyka fitopatohennykh bacterii. Patyka VP, Pasichnyk LA, Dankevych LA, Moroz CM, Butsenko LM, Zhytkevych NV, et al. Metodychni rekomendatsii. Kyiv; 2014. Ukrainian.
- Dutta B, Gitaitis RD, Webster TM, Sanders H, Smith S, Langston DB. Distribution and survival of Pseudomonas sp. on Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum) and Curly dock (Rumex crispus), in Georgia. Plant Dis. 2014; 98(5): 660–666. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-10-13-1077-RE
- Gerkhard F. Metody obschei bacteriologii. Moscow: Mir; 1983.
- Gitaitis R, Walcottb R, Culpepper S, Sanders H, Zolobowska L, Landston D. Recovery of Pantoea ananatis, causal agent of center rot of onion, from weeds and crops in Georgia, USA. Crop Protection. 2002; 21(10): 983–989. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-2194(02)00078-9
- Ivaschenko OO. [Buriany na posivakh – problema masshtabna]. Karantyn i zakhyst roslyn. 2009; (9): 2–4. Ukrainian.
- Mariano RLR, McCarter SM. Epiphytic survival of Pseudomonas viridiflava on tomato and selected weed species. Microbial Ecology. 1993; 26(7): 47–58. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00166029
- Methods in phytobacteriology. Eds. Z. Klement, K. Rudolf, D. Sands. – Budapest: Academiai Kiado; 1990.
- Pasichnyk LA. [Antigenic properties of bacteria of pathovars of Pseudomonas syringae affected cereals]. Microbiol Z. 2000; 62(5): 18–22. Ukrainian.
- Pasichnyk LA. [Epiphytic phase of existanse of Pseudomonas syringae pv. coronafaciens, the oats halo bacteriosis agent]. Microbiol Z. 1999; 61(6): 9–14. Ukrainian.
- Pasichnyk LA, Yakovleva LM, Gvozdyak PI, Vassilev VI. [The serological heterogeneity of Pseudomonas syringae pv. atrofaciens and their ecological niches]. Mikrobiologiya. 2003; 72(6): 828–833. Russian.
- Pasichnyk LA, Savenko EA, Butsenko LN, Scherbina TN, Patyka VF. [Pseudomonas syringae – the agent of bacterial diseases weeds]. Microbiol Z. 2013; 75(4): 41–46. Russian. https://doi.org/10.15407/microbiolj80.04.041
- Pastushenko LT, Simonovich ID. [Study of methods for obtaining antigens of the pathogenic bacteria of the genus Pseudomonas]. Microbiol Z. 1971; 33(3): 289–295. Ukrainian.
- Pastushenko LT, Simonovich ID. [Serological group of phytopathogenic bacteria of the Pseudomonas genus]. Microbiol Z. 1979; 41(4): 330–339. Russian.
- Peresypkin VF, Koroleva IB, Minko ND. [Ustoichivost sortov yarovoi pshenitsy k basalnomu bakteriozu]. Doklady VACKHNIL. 1978; (6): 11. Russian.
- Sazakli E, Leotsinidis M, Vantarakis A, Papapetroulou M. Comparative typing of Pseudomonas species isolated from the aquatic environment in Greece by SDS-PAGE and RAPD analysis. J Appl Microbiol. 2005; 99(5): 1191–1203. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2005.02691.x
- Schaad NW, Dianese JC. Cruciferous weeds as sources of inoculum of Xanthomonas campestris in black rot of crucifers. Phytopathol. 1981; 71(11): 1215–1220. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-71-1215
- Stead DE. Grouping of Xanthomonas campestris pathovars of cereals and grasses by fatty acid profiling. EPPO Bull. 1989; 19: 57–68. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2338.1989.tb00129.x
- Stead DE. Grouping of plant-pathogenic and some other Pseudomonus spp. by using cellular fatty acid profiles. Int J Syst Bacteriol. 1992; 42(2): 281–295. https://doi.org/10.1099/00207713-42-2-281
- Zherebilo OE, Vishtalyuk NM. [Fatty acids of total lipids of certain representatives of the genus Erwinia and other Enterobacteria]. Microbiol Z. 1987; 49(6): 83–85. Ukrainian.
- Zherebilo OE, Vishtalyuk NM. [Fatty acids composition of cellulars lipids of Erwinia carotovora subsp. carotovora in comparison with the type representatives of the genus and family]. Microbiol Z. 1991; 53(4): 26–33. Ukrainian.