Mikrobiol. Z. 2016; 78(5):99-105. Ukrainian.
Antagonistic Properties of Microscopic Fungi Isolated from Plasterboard
Pysmenna Yu.B., Kurchenko I.M., Subbota A.G.
Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NAS of Ukraine
154 Akad. Zabolotny Str., Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
The aim was to study the antagonistic interactions between microscopic fungi that often contaminate plasterboard, and test cultures which recommended determining the fungus resistance. Methods. Determination of interactions between test-cultures and strains isolated from plasterboard was carried out by agar block method. Results. The isolated from plasterboard Alternaria infectoria F-41218 E.G. Simmons, Aspergillus favipes F-41213 (Bain. & Sart.) Thom & Church, Chaetomium globosum F-41224 Kunze ex Fr., Stachybotrys chartarum F-41215 (Ehrenb.) S. Hughes strains inhibited the growth of test-cultures, recommended for study fungal resistance. Antagonistic activity of isolated from plasterboard fungi against the test-cultures increased in order Alternaria infectoria F-41218 < Aspergillus favipes F-41213 < Stachybotrys chartarum F-41215 < Chaetomium globosum F-41224. It was shown that the increase of antagonistic activity of isolated from plasterboard cultures and changing of interaction categories to complete inhibition of test-culture growth on medium with plasterboard. Conclusion. Thus, C. globosum F-41224 isolated from plasterboard was the strongest antagonist, as evidenced by the prevalence of inhibition, fungistatical and fungicidal effects against the test-cultures.
Key words: antagonistic properties, microscopic fungi, fungistatical and fungicidal effects, plasterboard.
Full text (PDF, in Ukrainian)
- Andersen B., Nielsen K.F., Jarvis B.B. Characterization of Stachybotrys from waterdamaged buildings based on morphology, growth, and metabolite production. Mycologia. 2002; 94(3): 392–403. https://doi.org/10.1080/15572536.2003.11833204
- Andersen B., Ulf T. Secondary metabolites produced by Altemaria infectoria and their use as chemotaxonomic markers. Mycotoxin research. 1996; 12(2): 54–60. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03192262
- Bilay V.I., ed. [Methods of Experimental Mycology. Reference Guide]. Kyiv: Nauk. Dumka, 1982. Russian.
- Bilay V.I. [Microscopic fungi producing antibiotics]. Publ. House Acad. Sci.: Kyiv, 1961. Russian.
- Chet I., Inbar J. Biological control of fungal pathogens. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 1994; 48(1): 37–43. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02825358
- Domsch K.H., Gams W., Anderson T.-H. Compendium of soil fungi. Second ed. Eching: IHW-Verlag, 2007.
- Egorov N.S. [Fundamentals of theory of antibiotics]. 6th ed. Moscow: MGU Science, 2004. Russian.
- Ezekiel C.N., Nwangburuka C.C., Anokwuru C.P. Fungal diversity and antagonistic interactions of Stachybotrys chartarum in soils within Babcock University. ActaSATECH, 2009; 3(1): 90–97.
- Eziashi E.I., Omamor I.B., Odigie E.E. Antagonism of Trichoderma viride and effects of extracted water soluble compounds from Trichoderma species and benlate solution on Ceratocystis paradoxa. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2010; 6(4): 388–392.
- Fogle M.R., Douglas D.R., Jumper C.A., Straus D.C. Growth and mycotoxin production by Chaetomium globosum. Mycopathologia. 2007; 164(1): 49–56. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11046-007-9023-x
- GOST 9.048-89. [Technical items. Laboratory test methods for resistance to fungi]. Introduced. 06.26.1989. Russian.
- Lugauskas A.Y., Mikulskene A.I., Shlyauzhene D.Y. [Catalog of micromycetes – biodestruktors of plastics]. Moscow: Nauka, 1987. Russian.
- Pysmenna Y.B., Subbota A.G., Nakonechna L.T. [The mycobiota in studying the resistance of plasterboard to microscopic fungi]. Mikrobiol Z., 2015; 77(5): 55–61. Russian. https://doi.org/10.15407/microbiolj77.05.055
- Pysmenna Y.B., Subbota A.G., Nakonechna L.T., Kurchenko I.M. [The species composition of micromycetes isolated from plasterboard]. Mikrobiol Z., 2016; 78(1): 54–62. Russian. https://doi.org/10.15407/microbiolj78.01.054
- Turkova Z.A., Titkova O.A. [Fungal relations between species used for technical product testing, and antibiotic properties]. In: Gorlenko M.V., [Microorganisms and lower plants – destroyers of materials and products]. Moscow: Nauka, 1979. p. 33–46. Russian.
- Zaichenko A.M., Andrienko E.V., Tsyganenko E.S. [Macrocyclic trichothecene mycotoxins: toxic to warm-blooded]. Modern problems of toxicology. 2008; (4): 32–37. Russian.